“Players’ choices ‘selfish,’ ‘immature'”

C.J. Sedoris
    C.J. Sedoris

Four Arizona football players were arrested early Friday morning after UAPD responded to a call reporting a fight at the Sigma Pi fraternity house.

Linebacker Cole Graybill, 20, threatened to hit someone with a brick he was holding, according to reports. Graybill was accompanied by quarterbacks Tyler Lyon, 20, and C.J. Sedoris, 19, defensive back Kyle Monson, 18, and two women.

Sedoris was charged with a suspicion of driving under the influence, and Lyon, Graybill and Monson were all charged with minor in possession of alcohol, according to reports.

By the time police arrived at the house, 1525 E. Drachman St., all four players had already left in Sedoris’ truck. The car was pulled over on Mabel Street near Euclid Avenue.

Police used a breathalizer test to determine the players’ blood-alcohol content. Arizona’s legal limit is .08, but for minors, the limit is 0.0.

Sedoris was also accused of possessing a fake driver’s license, according to reports.

UA head coach Mike Stoops, who declined to comment which players had been suspended, said at his weekly press conference yesterday that the players would be allowed to practice but not participate in games or travel with the team indefinitely.

“”We had four kids make very selfish and immature decisions, and they’ll pay the consequences,”” Stoops said. “”We have certain rules throughout the week that these guys broke.””

“”The timing of it is not great,”” he added. “”What they did doesn’t sit well with what we expect our players to do, that’s for sure.””

The occurrence marks the third time within the last year that members of the Arizona football team have been involved in alcohol-related incidents. Defensive end Louis Holmes was arrested after punching someone at a Scottsdale bar in July, and quarterback Willie Tuitama was cited for a minor in possession in February.

“”They made poor decisions, and other than that I don’t think there’s anyone out there on the field thinking about what happened,”” said linebacker Spencer Larsen of the suspended players. “”They knew fully what they were getting into, and that doesn’t excuse it in the least bit.””

“”Just because they’re not the No. 1 quarterback doesn’t mean that they go and do what they want to do,”” Larsen added.

Cornerback Antoine Cason said the football team is required to take a class that helps freshmen with the “”do’s and don’ts and how to go about your business”” at Arizona.

“”They made one mistake,”” Cason said. “”They’ll face the consequences, and they’ll learn from their mistakes.””

– Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.