Police Beat: March 9, 2012

Forklift ahead

A man reported seeing a male student on a bicycle get into an accident with a forklift from Class Party Rentals at 11 a.m. on Tuesday. University of Arizona Police Department and Tucson Police Department officers arrived and saw the bicyclist on the ground. The driver of the forklift told officers that he was reversing the forklift without having anyone stand outside it to check for pedestrians or bicyclists as he normally does, but did see this bicyclist approaching and stopped to let him pass.

The student was not watching where he was going, the forklift driver said, and ran into the rear tires of the forklift. The student was ejected from his bike. The forklift driver said he immediately put his emergency brakes on in order to avoid rolling over the student. The officers and the driver checked to see if the student was OK. He had some small cuts and bruises on his body, but did not need emergency medical attention.

Tunnel trouble

Two male students called UAPD at 2:50 a.m. on Saturday and said they were assaulted while riding their skateboards back to their dorm. The men said they were riding through a tunnel by the University of Arizona Medical Center when three male bicyclists came riding toward them. One of the bicyclists swerved in order to hit one of the skateboarders. The skateboarder said he threw his board at the bicyclist and asked, “Why would you do that?” The three bicyclists then jumped off their bikes and began punching the skateboarder.

The other skateboarder said he ran away and hid in some bushes nearby for about a minute. He then went back to check on his friend, who was getting up off the ground. He had bruised ribs, a cut eye and a bloody mouth. The two skateboarders noticed that the bicyclists had also stolen their boards, priced at about $260 each. The injured student said he did not need emergency medical attention.

Foreign funds

A UA employee called UAPD at 10:42 a.m. on Tuesday and said a representative from JPMorgan Chase bank had called him and said someone from Europe had charged a total of $106.67 to his bank account. The bank representative asked the employee if the charges were valid, and the employee told him that he did not make any of the charges. There were three suspicious charges for first class train tickets. Officers told the employee to cancel his card right away.