New asst. coach adds life

UA assistant coach Bernard Scott joined the Arizona womens basketball program this season, bringing plenty of experience, insight and presence. Scott is responsible for player development, scouting and recruiting.
    UA assistant coach Bernard Scott joined the Arizona women’s basketball program this season, bringing plenty of experience, insight and presence. Scott is responsible for player development, scouting and recruiting.

Incoming Arizona assistant coach Bernard Scott brings unanimously appreciated contribution to the women’s basketball program, in all aspects of the game.

“”He’s very dedicated to what he’s doing and wanting us to get better,”” said freshman forward Ify Ibekwe. “”He’s made an impact already just personality-wise.””

Scott enters Tucson aiming to get the program back on the winning page by working with a barrage of post players, and enhancing player development, scouting and recruiting. The 29-year-old former Toledo player comes off three years as an assistant coach with Dayton women’s basketball team, having helped the Flyers reach a program-best record of 17-12 in 2005-2006.

Scott provides the Wildcats with a triple threat of character, a caring personality and basketball experience, said UA head coach Joan Bonvicini.

“”He’s experienced and respected by his peers across the country,”” she said. “”I think you’re going to be seeing a significant improvement from our posts. … You’ll see that in scoring and rebounding.””

Arizona finished eighth in the Pacific 10 Conference last season in rebounding, grabbing 2.1 fewer rebounds per game than

its opponents.

Mutual respect on both ends helps Scott preach teachings that help players produce.

“”Working with the girls is pretty easy,”” Scott said. “”They’ve taken on my teaching pretty well.””

Forward Amina Njonkou has been labeled as one of the team’s most improved players during the offseason.

“”Right now, I’m pretty confident with my shot,”” she said.

Njonkou averaged 8.4 points and 6.7 rebounds last season in starting all 32 games, in a year she was less than happy with. With Njonjou sporting a powerful 6-foot-1 frame, Scott’s revamping raises the expectation bar so high that Bonvicini believes she can evolve into one of the team’s top scorers and average a double-double.

Center Beatrice Bofia returns from last year’s season-ending knee injury looking to lead an improved UA post presence. The 6-foot-7 junior has already seen Scott’s influences reflected in her game with an improved left-handed hook shot and better rebounding.

“”Coach Scott has helped me very much,”” Bofia said. “”He’s teaching us some good moves.””

Ibekwe said the transition from high school is difficult, but that Scott has helped the newcomers acclimate themselves to the college game.

“”He just brings an awesome attitude,”” said senior forward Shannon Hobson. “”You know he knows what he’s talking about.””