Softball falls to Washington

It was slightly better, but it still wasn’t enough.

It was an improvement over the no hitter shutout that the Arizona softball team received the first time it played the Washington Huskies, but once again the Wildcats failed to have sustainable hitting against UW ace Danielle Lawrie.

“”Credit goes to Lawrie. We haven’t figured her out yet,”” said UA head coach Mike Candrea. “”For us to compete in big games you have to beat big game pitchers.””

Although sophomore Brittany Lastrapes made good on her personal guarantee that the Wildcats would get at least one hit off of Lawrie, but they didn’t get many more.

Recording only four hits in the game, No. 7 Arizona (36-10, 8-4 Pacific 10 conference) fell out of first place in the Pac-10 at the hands of No. 3 Washington (35-8, 8-5) during the second game of the weekend at Hillenbrand Memorial Stadium. UCLA now has the lead in the conference with a league record of 9-4.

“”I don’t really know what it is,”” Lastrapes said. “”It’s hard losing at home. With a chance of getting swept tomorrow, it’s just a pretty bad feeling.””

The game, which ended in a 4-1 win for the Huskies, recorded Arizona’s second loss at home during Pac-10 play. After ending its four-game winning streak last night against UCLA, Arizona has now recorded two-straight losses and have only one home game remaining in the regular season.

Washington jumped out to an early lead in the top of the third inning. A two RBI double by freshman Kimi Pohlman put up two more runs in the fourth, giving the Huskies a 4-0 lead. The pitching of Lawrie would ensure that Arizona would never be able to climb back. Every UA starter struck out a least once against Lawrie.

“”You have to stay in every at bat and in every pitch,”” said UA senior Jenae Leles. “”We’re guessing right now.””

Lawrie (26-5) succeeded in shutting down the Arizona offense. She had a strikeout total of 12 in seven innings. Arizona’s only successful inning against the Huskies came in the bottom of the fifth after successive walks to freshmen Lini Koria and Kristen Arriola. After freshman Karissa Buchanan singled to load the bases, Lastrapes singled allowing Arizona to cash in its only run of the night.

Lindsey Sisk (11-3) got the ball for Arizona for the first time in three weeks since pitching at UCLA on April 4. She gave up 11 hits and struck out six Washington batters. Sisk pitched well enough for Arizona to stay in the game, but the early deficit was too much for the Wildcats to overcome.

Arizona will play its final home game tomorrow at noon against Washington. There will be a senior presentation following the game for six seniors leaving the Wildcat team.