Date Book

Events/lectures

• Writing workshop. Sometimes setting pen to paper requires bravery, and writing well means breaking free of the rules learned in school. Join Steve Cox, former director for the UA Press, as he shares practical wisdom that brings to bear decades of invaluable experience in writing, teaching, editing and publishing. Noon. Student Union Memorial Center, UofA Bookstores
    • Math lecture. “”Integrability of Nonholonomic Systems,”” a talk by Luis Garcia-Naranjo, program in applied mathematics. 12:30 p.m. Mathematics building, Room 402
    • Upper-division writing workshop. Joe Stefani of the Writing Skills Improvement Program will discuss “”The Use and Abuse of Passive Voice.”” This lecture is part of a free semester-long series of workshops held every Tuesday. 4 p.m. Psychology building, Room 205
    • Film. “”The Harder They Come.”” This gritty, groundbreaking film is an adaptation of Michael Thelwell’s novel of the same title. It is the story of class resistance and one artist’s use of music to deconstruct the cultural and class politics of post-colonial Jamaica. 5 p.m. CǸsar E. Chǭvez building, Room 111
    • Science lecture. “”Earth Evolution: The Formation of Our Planet”” Joaquin Ruiz, Dean of the College of Science and professor of geosciences. 7 p.m. Social Sciences building, Auditorium
    • Entertainment

• Music. Singing the Gospel in song for an hour. Noon. UA Mall
      • Cookout. “”Cookout on the patio.”” 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. SUMC, Cactus Grill
      • Comedy. Come watch as the Charles Darwin Experience provides entertaining improvisational comedy. 10:15 p.m. SUMC, Wilbur’s Underground, Cellar