ABOR Briefs

TEMPE – The UA College of Medicine, along with the rest of the new biomedical campus in downtown Phoenix, was allocated an additional $1.5 million from unexpected Technology and Research Initiative Fund (Proposition 301) revenue, which exceeded the budgeted $12.2 million, according to regents’ reports.

The revenue will go toward planning Phase II of the biomedical campus, which includes a medical-education building and the second of two Arizona Biomedical Collaborative buildings. Two of the three Phoenix Union High School buildings that will serve as the main campus are already complete, and the first class of 24 students will start in July 2007.

The biomedical campus will also house the UA College of Pharmacy and Arizona State University’s nursing school and could include Northern Arizona University’s allied health professional programs. There is enough funding for two classes of 24 medical students.

An opening ceremony for the College of Medicine is scheduled Oct. 10 in Phoenix. Guests will include Gov. Janet Napolitano and Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon.

UA to rent out student housing apartments

The UA will purchase a 19-unit apartment complex in order to fill the housing need for more students and visiting professors.

The University Terrace Apartments complex, 925 N. Tyndall Ave., will continue to be rented out to students, with four apartments reserved for visiting professors, said Joel Valdez, senior vice president of business affairs.

The $1.9 million complex will be paid for through local funds and land-sale proceeds, including the cost of rent. Rent will start lower than the previous owner’s asking price and will be increased by 5 percent each year.

UA to replace supercomputer

The UA will spend $2.5 million to replace its supercomputer during the next three years.

The new high-performance system will allow researchers to continue and expand their current activities. The supercomputer resource attracts new faculty and grants, retains current faculty and grants and helps the UA remain competitive as a premier research university, according to regent’s reports.

Optical Sciences to upgrade data infrastructure

The Meinel Optical Sciences building’s voice and data infrastructure will be upgraded in order to keep technological pace with the new College of Optical Sciences building.

The $739,744 upgrade on the old building will include complete wireless coverage, prolific data connections throughout the facility, high-speed data bandwidth, ongoing technology support for the building and the necessary infrastructure in keeping with the UA’s Network Master Plan.

The upgrades will be paid for through revenue from TRIF, with remaining funds provided by CCIT.