Police Beat: Apr. 12

Later, library

A librarian from the Main Library called the University of Arizona Police Department after she saw a man she knew was suspended from the library enter the building at 6:43 p.m. on Tuesday. She told officers that the man was homeless and she remembered that UAPD had suspended him from the library for six months. Officers arrived at the scene and found the man in a corner using a computer.

They then spoke with the librarian, and she told officers that she has asked him many times to stay away from the computers because he watches porn on them. Officers looked at the history on the man’s computer and found no pornographic material. Officers told the man that he was not allowed to be in the library, and that it is illegal to watch porn in public. They then asked him for his driver’s license, and scanned it into their system. Officers noticed the Tucson Police Department had a warrant out for his arrest. They cited the man for his warrant and placed his personal items into UAPD Property and Evidence.

Knock out

An individual called UAPD after watching a woman fall unconcious on 1340 E. Second Street at 8:47 p.m. on Tuesday. Officers and paramedics from the Tucson Fire Department arrived at the scene and asked her if she was OK. Paramedics asked if they could take her to the University of Arizona Medical Center, but she refused. She told the officers and paramedics that she was walking back from a softball game when she saw a car leaving a nearby parking garage.

She then walked into the garage, and as the gate lowered, it hit her directly on the head. She fell, and paramedics noticed lacerations on her knees and face. Officers took photographs of her lacerations and told her not to walk under the gate. Her husband eventually arrived on the scene and the officers and paramedics left.

Stumbling around

UAPD officers were on patrol when they noticed a woman stumbling on a sidewalk near Cherry Avenue and First Street at 12:16 a.m. on Tuesday. Officers pulled up to the woman but she continued to stumble forward. Officers then turned on their emergency lights to try to get her attention, but were still unsuccessful. The officers got out of their car and asked the woman to stop, turn around and sit on the curb. As she went to sit down, she fell over.

Officers asked her for her driver’s license. She gave it to them and said, “Here you go.” Officers immediately noticed a strong smell of alcohol coming from her breath. She told officers that she had been drinking at a “kid’s” house, and had several drinks earlier that night. She also told them she drinks alcohol at least once a week. Officers cited her for minor in possession of alcohol in body and took her home.