Spicy Bangkok exceeds expectations

Paloma Castro-Marin samples the Thai delicacies at Bangkok Thai on Speedway Boulevard. Her favorite  dishes include the papaya  salad and the pad thai.
    Paloma Castro-Marin samples the Thai delicacies at Bangkok Thai on Speedway Boulevard. Her favorite dishes include the papaya salad and the pad thai.

Bangkok Cafe will elevate your taste buds with the sweet and spicy tastes of Thailand at 2511 E. Speedway Blvd.

Walking inside the restaurant, I noticed modern light fixtures that highlighted the stylized artwork lining the soft green walls in this clean, quiet atmosphere. The room was flooded with natural light and business professionals talking quietly among the bamboo tables and chairs.

All of this seemed normal enough, as my senses rose with the aroma of fresh cilantro, crushed peanuts and sweet chili sauce.

The fresh po pia sod wrap appetizer was so light and sweet I couldn’t believe I had already eaten four of them. Thinly filled with cellophane noodles, chicken, shrimp and tofu, the sauce is out of this world.

With such a light taste and texture, your palette will burst with flavor while enjoying the fresh ingredients.

Prior to my experience, I assumed Thai food was much like a Chinese buffet, with heavy sauces and grease, draining even the broccoli of its nutritious value. That was not even close. The broccoli and other greens in my radd-na entree were not limp and overwhelmed by its golden sauce, but crispy and juicy, complementing the light rice noodle stir-fry and mildly spiced chicken in the casserole-style dish. The other choice of meats included pork, beef, shrimp or seafood.

The last entree I sampled was the highly traditional pad thai. Presented on a bed of greens complemented by classic rice noodles and your choice of chicken or pork with egg and bean sprouts in a sweet tamarind sauce, this dish was charming.

The noodles were little and light, with shaved peanuts setting off the texture of the dish. The peanuts left just enough contrast to the tamarind sauce, allowing a full range of flavors.

The list of delectable combinations is plenty, ranging from appetizers, salads and soups, to noodles, rice, curry and homemade ice cream. I never knew the range of Thai foods could be so diverse.