Police Beat

Woman reports texting harassment
    A woman contacted police after receiving harrassing text messages last Thursday afternoon.

The woman told police that she was having problems with a man she had a one night stand with three years ago. She said that she had not spoken to him since the encounter until Aug. 20.

On that evening, the man she had slept with showed up at her apartment wanting to have sex with the woman. When she told him no, he got angry and upset and left the complex. She said that she did not speak to him again until he began sending her text messages on Sept. 10. She said that the text messages said he was “”going to get back at her for not having sex with him”” and that “”he and his football player friend had photos of her.””

The woman told police that she did not believe he had taken any photos of her. The woman was concerned, though, that he would try to do something to embarrass orsay something hurtful to her. She said that he had made no physical threats against her.

The woman told police that she did not want them to contact the man, because she was afraid it would make him mad. She was advised to not answer any more of his text messages and to call police if there were any further problems. The incident was documented in case further incidences occurred.

Professor receives anonymous letter
    A professor called police after receiving a suspicious letter last Thursday.

Police responded to a call at Drachman Hall, 1295 Martin Ave., where the professor told officers she had gotten a www.news.com article about a Pakistani girl who was married at age 9 and slain by her parents at age 17. Written on the article was a message saying, “”Still unqualified to judge cultural norms? You stand for nothing.””

The professor told officers that she thought the article was suspicious and wanted to report it. The letter had a return address in Tucson and the name “”Billie Holliday”” on it. The letter was postmarked from Phoenix.

After looking into the report, police said there was no record of a Billie Holliday and the address that was given was fake. There are no suspects.

Taxi allegedly attacked
    A man was stopped after a taxi driver told police he saw three people throwing objects at his cab early last Wednesday morning.

The driver said he was driving on Campbell Avenue and Second Street when he saw three subjects in the corner of his eye. He said that he heard the objects strike the cab on the passenger side. The taxi driver said he braked, and the three subjects began to run. He said he followed them to Warren Avenue and Second Street, where he met up with officers.

Police made contact with a man who said that he had not thrown anything at the taxi. The other two people were ahead of him and not reached. He said that he ran from fear, because the car had stopped so suddenly.

The man told officers that he was coming from Dirtbag’s and was just trying to get to Championship Dining. Reports stated that the man smelled strongly of intoxicants.

There was no visible damage to the taxi.

Student receives marijuana package
    Police responded to reports that a suspicious package smelling of marijuana had been delivered to Coronado Residence Hall, 822 E. Fifth St., Thursday.

When officers arrived on the scene, they were escorted to the community director’s office, where they observed an odor of fresh marijuana. The director handed officers the unopened box and told officers that it had been delivered to the front desk via Fed-Ex.

The return address on the box showed up to be a Surf Shop in Woodland Hills, Calif. Officers attempted to get a K-9 unit to respond to confirm the package was marijuana without opening it, but one was not available.

Officers decided to let the student take possession of the box. They called the student and told him they were assistants at the desk and asked if he had been expecting a package. He said he had and reports say he seemed very excited on the phone. He told them he could be there in 20 to 30 minutes to retrieve the package.

The box was left at the front desk in officer’s view until the student came and signed for the package, taking possession of it. The student walked toward the elevator, where he was stopped by the officers. He was placed in handcuffs and moved from the lobby to the director’s office. The student agreed to answer questions. Fist he denied any knowledge of the box or its contents until one of the officers left the room. He asked the other officer what kind of trouble he was in and what type of consequences he could face. The officer informed him that there were many things that could happen, anything from a citation to being taken to jail.

The student informed the officer that he was concerned about his student status and that he wanted to stay in the residence hall. The student then told the officer that he wanted to tell the truth. He said a friend from California who had a cannabis card, asked him if he needed any marijuana. The student said he told his friend he didn’t need any, but if he sent it, it would get used. The student said he knew it was marijuana from the smell of the box.

Officers then asked him to open the box, which he agreed to do. Inside, police found an open bag of Chex Mix that had been closed by clips. Police emptied the contents of the box and found two rolled-up bags of marijuana inside.

Since the student is 17 years old, his father was notified of the incident. The boy was released to his brother, another UA student. He was cited and released.