MARC helps minorities make mark in research

Minority students are encouraged to apply to a UA program designed to help offer opportunities in biomedical research.

Minority Access to Research Careers, is a two-year program that allows students to get involved in research and sets them up with mentors to help give them experience and gain networking.

The ultimate goal is to train underrepresented undergraduates so they can be prepared for graduate school or careers in their fields, said Marc Tischler, director of MARC.

“”They do research, go to workshops, meet with scientists from other institutions, they travel to meetings, they travel to other countries to do research – it’s a lot of different aspects,”” Tischler said.

Students involved in MARC are exposed to opportunities usually exclusive to graduate students and professors, he said.

“”We’re trying to get students involved in research sooner,”” Tischler said. “”My program supports students in their last two years of the university.””

Danyel Wynn, a physiology junior and member of MARC, said she believes her opportunity is helping her prepare for a future in the medical industry.

“”I want to do a MD or PhD and I know that this two-year commitment has helped me so much,”” Wynn said. “”I work in a lab now doing research with prostate cancer, and that is not something most undergraduates do.””

The program has a competitive application process. Students must have a 3.0 grade point average or higher and attend an interview.

Students interested can contact Tischler at tischler@u.arizona.edu.

“”It’s good for students to contact me early on so I can help them develop a more competitive application,”” he said. “”We only accept seven trainees a year, so it depends on how many apply. We’ve had from 12 to 24 applicants.””

Wynn also encourages students to get involved if they have the opportunity.

“”You should apply because you never know if you will get it or not,”” Wynn said. “”If you can make the two-year commitment and put the time into it, you will see the benefits. It’s a give-take relationship, and it is worth it.””

Tischler agreed. “”The value of applying, even if you don’t have the confidence to get in, is that you never know,”” he said. “”There are other ways we may be able to provide help so there are things they could gain from applying. I am very happy to sit down with a student and talk to them about their careers and help them in ways they probably didn’t think of.””

Alumni of the program have been accepted to competitive biomedical graduate school programs at institutions such as the University of Texas, the University of California at San Diego, Stanford University, the University of California at Berkeley, Vanderbilt University, the Mayo Clinic and the UA.