Men’s swim teams in 2nd at NCAAs

The No. 6 Arizona men’s swimming and diving teams had a good start on the first day of competition at the 2006 NCAA Championships.

After failing to capture a victory in any of the previous day’s events, the team of freshman Nick Thoman, sophomores Ivan Barnes and Albert Subirats and junior Adam Ritter set a new pool record of 3:07.75 in the final event of the day – the 400-yard medley relay.

There were finals in five swimming events overall and one diving final. In the 200y freestyle relay, the Arizona team came in second, with the team of Subirats, Ritter and seniors Simon Burnett and Lyndon Ferns clocking a time of 1:16.54.

Ritter came in second in the 200y individual medley in 1:44.20. Senior Dave Rollins place fifth in the same event in 1:44.75.

Burnett finished third in the 50y freestyle in 19.32, while Ferns finished fourth in the 50y freestyle event in a time of 19.34. Senior Tyler Deberry finished 16th in the 500y freestyle.

In the one diving event for the day, Arizona’s lone diving representative, senior John Collier, finished 29th in the 1-meter diving event.

Competition continues today at noon with preliminaries and finals kicking off at 7 p.m. concluding Saturday.