Softball shows Ducks no mercy

The Wildcats wrapped up their second Pacific-10 conference win of the season as they run-ruled Oregon Ducks 11-3 in five innings.

Oregon, which was held scoreless in a loss in Tempe against ASU on Friday, gave the Ducks (10-19, 0-3 Pac-10) another loss in the Grand Canyon State. Arizona would take the first game this season, as it dominated offensively,

Both teams were cold in the first inning before Arizona slammed open the second time at the plate as Arizona (30-7) scored scored six runs, all unearned, fueled by two Oregon errors.

The inning saw three Oregon pitchers, and was capped by a three-run home run by UA senior Jenae Leles.

“”They had a few errors that hurt them but at this level, that’s what happens,”” said Arizona head coach Mike Candrea. “”If you start making mistakes and give people four outs an inning, its going to come back to bite you.””

Arizona would score five in the fourth inning, thanks to a shot by Leles and an RBI single from Lini Koria that would drive in another run. Victoria Kemp also added a three-run blast to complete the scoring for the Wildcats. She was 2-for-2 in the game.

“”I struggled a little bit (on Friday),”” Leles said. “”I think I saw the ball al little bit better tonight.””

Lindsey Sisk threw four innings, striking out four batters, and only allowed three hits. She worked out of trouble in the first inning when there were runners on the corners for the Ducks with just one out. A solid defensive play by Leles and a strikeout by Sisk would get the Wildcats out of harm’s way until the fifth inning.

“”I came out today really ready to pitch,”” Sisk said. “”We all need to do that and be able to finish it.””

“”I know she’s had some tough moments and battled through it,”” Candrea said. “”Tonight I thought she made a great step.””

After effectively shutting down the Oregon offense for most of the game, Arizona brought in senior pitcher Jennifer Martinez, who gave up three runs. Blair Wilson hit her first career home run for the Ducks in the fifth – a two-run bomb that would give Oregon some momentum.

The Ducks would add one more run with one out before a groundout and a strikeout would end the game and give the Wildcats the win. Arizona will take on Oregon again tomorrow morning at 11 am at Hillenbrand Stadium.