“Slow start, rough finish bookend quality”

The Arizona men’s club hockey team traveled to Rochester, N.Y., with hopes of consistent plays and a 5-0 record. After two hard fought wins Friday and Saturday night at the ESL Sports Centre, Arizona couldn’t overcome a slew of penalties and an early start time in its third difficult game in as many days.

The Icecats were looking for respect from East Coast schools before the American Collegiate Hockey Association Showcase, and after defeating Indiana University of Pennsylvania and No. 29 Stony Brook, they think they accomplished that goal.

“”We showed we’ve got something special here,”” said Icecats head coach Leo Golembiewski. “”There’s no magic yet, but there’s a great work ethic and a good team.””

In the third game, however, Arizona couldn’t avoid defeat. Twenty-four penalties were called against the Icecats, including some questionable calls resulting in four 10-minute game misconduct penalties and one disqualification. Robert Morris College scored four power-play goals in a 5-1 contest that was closer than the score indicated.

“”(Icecats goalkeeper Luke) Edwall had an awesome game,”” said forward Scott Marshall, although he added it’s hard to overcome so many penalties.

Arizona started the ACHA Showcase in exciting style, beating IUP 4-3 in a shootout. Robbie Nowinski scored early in the first period, but the Icecats allowed three goals first period goals of their own. Then goalie Nick Boddy shut the door and stopped the final two Crimson Hawk penalty shot attempts to seal the deal for the Icecats.

Saturday night’s game against SBU provided more excitement.

“”Stony Brook was a great team,”” Golembiewski said. “”They were big and quick, but we played them toe to toe. I’m pleased we were able to come away with a 4-1 record after this tournament.””

Arizona jumped ahead early on score from Marshall, and traded goals until Matt Conover scored late in the second period to give the Icecats a 3-2 lead. Boddy made 35 saves and Evan Morrow added an empty net goal in the 4-2 Icecat victory.

Marshall said the team played outstanding against SBU, and thinks the momentum from a good performance at the tournament should translate well for the rest of the season.