ABOR may try to bring in younger board members

PHOENIX – The Arizona Board of Regents reappointed four members of the University Medical Center Board of Directors at their meeting yesterday by a close margin.

In a vote of 4-3 with two abstentions, regents discussed the possibility of implementing a term limit in an effort to bring “”new blood,”” to the UMC board of directors.

A vocal participant in the discussion, Regent Anne Mariucci said in order for the UMC to remain tied to their community, leeway must be made to include other, and possibly younger, board members.

“”Some of the individuals on the board have been serving for longer than I have been alive, and there is no question that they are doing a fantastic job,”” said Regent Edward Hermes. “”But I have to support what Regent Mariucci said in the importance of bringing new blood to the board, and I don’t think that I can support reappointment.””

While Regents Mariucci, Hermes and Ernest Calderon were among those in support of creating a time limit, Regents Gary Stuart, Dennis DeConcini, Fred DuVal and Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Horne carried the majority of the vote toward reappointment.

“”Having board members of this seniority, it would be unfair to not reappoint them,”” Stuart said.

In the end, Matthew H. Miller, Bruce J. Nordstrom, Roberto Ruiz and Ben F. Williams were reappointed to their position on the UMC Board of Directors.

While Miller and Nordstrom are entering their ninth year on the UMC board of directors, Williams has been a member for 19 years, Ruiz 20.

Regents approve programs in biostatistics, public health

Two doctoral programs in the College of Public Health will begin at the UA next year, which the regents approved at yesterday’s meeting.

A relatively new college, Public Health has been working towards receiving accreditation since 2000, said Provost George Davis.

However, in order to receive that accreditation, the college was required to have three doctoral programs, Davis said. Since the epidemiology program was already in place, administrators in the college decided to add a Ph.D program in bio-statistics and a doctoral program in public health.

“”We are the only university west of the Mississippi with a combination of health science colleges,”” Davis said. “”We have a critical advantage teaching and research, and we did not want to lose that.””

Although the doctoral program in public health is not a Ph.D. program, Davis said it is ideal for students with master’s degrees who are in a position of leadership.

“”It is not a Ph.D.,”” Davis said. “”But it deals with technological stuff, leadership, and management.””

Davis said the programs will be open to both residents and non-residents and will be implemented with differential tuition.

ABOR to revisit controversial Prop 300 at next meeting

The residency requirements enclosed in recently passed Proposition 300 will be revisited by the Arizona Board of Regents in their next meeting.

Passed in November, Proposition 300 states that students who are not legal citizens may not be admitted into Arizona universities even if they have already attended public school in Arizona.

Although the regents have only done a first reading of the changes to the ABOR non-residency status requirements, some voiced opposition to the changes stipulated by the proposition.

“”My request to everyone here is that we need to pass the dream act, federal legislation that would allow students to pursue citizenship,”” said Regent Edward Hermes. “”Some of these are students who have worked hard and who have lived in Arizona for all of their whole lives, some of whom were brought here at a young age with no willingness of their own.””

While the issue of residency within Propostion 300 was tabled until the next regents meeting, Hermes urged each regent to consider the difference that such an act could make.

“”This could give these students some real hope,”” Hermes added, “”and could take care of the problem that we all have here.””