Second frat shooter gets 7 1/2 years

The second of two individuals involved in last semester’s shooting outside of a UA fraternity house was sentenced Wednesday to 7 1/2 years in prison.

Robert William Ramos, 18, pleaded guilty to aggravated assault with a deadly weapon for his role in the shooting at Phi Gamma Delta fraternity house, 1801 E. First St., the morning of Sept. 9.

William Edward Morgan, 17, who was also involved in the incident, was sentenced to more than 20 years in prison last month after pleading guilty to aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, endangerment and drive-by shooting.

Police believe the altercation began as Ramos and Morgan exchanged words with members of the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity house while they were in the drive-through of Taco Bell, 1818 E. Speedway Blvd. Morgan and Ramos later got into a fistfight with the fraternity members, who fled into their house upon realizing that Ramos and Morgan had a gun.

Ramos and Morgan then drove around the fraternity house and opened fire, shooting an 18-year-old girl who was standing outside in the stomach. The student has since recovered.

“”The men of Phi Gamma Delta support fully the sentence that was rendered against these two individuals who perpetrated (sic) this despicable act,”” said Patrick Trimble, president of Phi Gamma Delta and an accounting senior, in an e-mail. “”We hope that this will help bring closure to the victim, her family and other members of the university effected (sic) by this crime.””

– The Associated Press contributed to this report