Mailbag

Taco Shop omission from burrito roundup disappointing
    I am disappointed that Adam Daley’s article, “”Wee hours beckon breakfast burritos”” (Nov. 19, 2008), failed to mention one of the best options for late-night burrito seekers. The 24 Hour Taco Shop has the standard breakfast burrito options and, more importantly, the ever-interesting late-night crowd. Considering the quality and location of the Taco Shop, it’s certainly more deserving of some exposure than the other, more questionable options.

Alex Fay
    physics senior

Prop 102 expressed voters’ desires, not those of state
    The article about Proposition 102 in Wednesday’s WildLife section, “”Marriage ban gets state’s blood boiling”” (Nov. 19, 2008), certainly presents a point of view about the “”Yes to Marriage”” amendment to the state’s constitution. Lots of people are upset. Yeah, we already knew that. Nobody thinks it’s fair. Got that one marked off, too.

One thing it fails to address, however, is the method by which this proposition passed. Professor Arianne Burford is quoted as saying, “”The state should not dictate who should have these privileges and who should not.”” Unfortunately, she has it wrong. It isn’t the state dictating to anyone – in this case – what privileges are given to what group of people. The people themselves decided it.

This issue starkly defines the “”problem,”” if you consider it such, with democratic – and by that, I mean “”one person, one vote”” – decisions. If democracy is really the political system you want to adhere to, then you have to abide by the people’s decision. In this case, 44 percent of the population that voted disagrees with the 56 percent majority. You can protest, march and complain all you’d like, but if you allow the people as a whole to make up its collective mind about an issue, then sometimes you’re just not going to like the results. You’ve got to take the good with the bad.

You can’t say, “”Oh, we need to change that result because it’s not what it should have been.”” In a democracy, the people decide what is right, and in this case, this year, Proposition 102 is right by a 12 percent margin.

Take a cue from history. Just as a like-minded proposition was defeated two years ago, you can always place a proposition on the ballot next time to repeal this one. Don’t be hypocritical in saying all people deserve rights, and then rob a majority of their right to voice their opinion at the ballot box simply because you don’t like it.

Josh Gordon
    computer science senior