“Drug cops smash into wrong house, terrorize elderly couple”

CHICAGO — Cook County sheriff’s police on a drug raid smashed into a Southwest Side house late Thursday night, terrorizing the elderly couple who lives there before admitting they had the wrong house.

Sheriff’s police Friday morning said they targeted the home and obtained a search warrant based on information from an informant who had provided credible information in the past.

“”As soon as we entered the home, we knew this couple was not involved in the activity alleged,”” sheriff’s police spokesman Steve Patterson said in an e-mail. “”Our officers immediately requested the assistance of an interpreter and, as a precautionary measure, a medic, while also asking the couple to contact a relative who could assist in the situation.””

Paterson said the department has reached out to the family.

The search warrant for the home cited suspected crystal meth, cocaine, guns and money. It also named a 23-year-old suspect the Jakymecs say they do not know.

With her husband already asleep, 84-year-old Anna Jakymec was just turning out the lights when she heard loud noises at the back and front doors about 11:30 p.m.

Her initial thought was that her 89-year old husband had fallen out of bed, but she realized something else was happening when she looked into the front room.

“”I see maybe 20 guys come in and see the door knocked open,”” she said.

“”They show me a sheet with a woman and man who complained we have that. We don’t,”” Anna Jakymec said. “”They broke two doors and a garage window. Then they say, ‘C’mon, c’mon — go, go, go, stay by your husband.’ He said someone complained we had all these drugs.””

Son Andrew said the most potent drug in the home is aspirin.

“”They don’t smoke, drink or even watch TV. They believe in America,”” he said.

He added that his father, Andrij, suffers from Alzheimer’s disease and has terminal cancer.

“”He won’t even take pain medicine,”” he said.

The former Ukrainian residents have lived in the house since 1967, according to their son. He said his father is a retired tailor and his mother worked as an elevator operator into her late ’70s for Peoples Gas Co.

His mother, he said, called him after the raid at the request of the supervising sergeant on the scene. When he got there, he said he was told the officers had raided the wrong home.

“”When I arrived the officer explained they had misinformation, but said his job was over, and he was leaving. They left a copy of the warrant, but he absolved himself of any responsibility for the raid or the damage,”” Andrew Jakymec said.

He estimated the damage to broken doors, locks and windows at up to $3,000.

“”Everything was violently opened. Cabinets were ripped open, clothes and sheets were everywhere, and pieces of wood where the doors were rammed were all over the place,”” he said.

“”My parents are refugees from the Soviet Union. They are naturalized citizens. They have relatives there who were abused for political reasons. You might expect it there, but not here,”” Jakymec said.

The warrant said police were looking for a 23-year-old man, described as Hispanic who lived in the ranch home. Records show a judge last month ruled the man forfeited bond in a drug-possession case. The address listed for the man in court records did not match that of the Jakymecs.

Anna added: “”I didn’t believe it was the police. They broke everything. I told them they should have rung the bell.””

Patterson said the gangs and narcotics unit has served more than 500 search warrants over the last four years “”and it is incredibly rare that those searches have resulted in this sort of outcome.””

He said the incident itself is under review and the sheriff’s office is evaluating the original information given to them about the home. He added that the sheriff’s office is looking into the property damage that took place during the incident.