Women’s tennis finishes fall season in San Diego

The Arizona women’s tennis fall tournament season concludes this weekend, guided by the same approach taken throughout the semester: consistency and individual improvement.

UA assistant

The girls are doing a good job recognizing what they need to do, and doing their best to work themselves in the right situations out on the court.

-Brian Ramirez,
    assistant coach

coach Brian Ramirez accompanies senior Camelia Todorova, sophomore Katie Orletsky and freshman Jane Huh to the San Diego Invitational, the team’s third straight tournament in San Diego.

This trip will differ from the previous ones in that Ramirez will get his first and only look at Todorova’s and Huh’s fall tournament play.

Ramirez hopes the event will allow for improved maturity, better understanding in situations and opportunities for younger players to take control of matches in different scenarios. He also continues to harp on better shot selection.

“”They have to be a little more timely in their thought process throughout the match,”” Ramirez said, “”but that’s representative of young players in general.””

In last weekend’s ITA West Regionals, senior Danielle Steinberg advanced into the main draw’s round of 32 – the Wildcats’ longest run this fall – before falling to Amanda Fink of USC 6-1, 6-2.

Steinberg said she believes the team has made reasonable progress overall and that it should be in good shape for the spring.

This is Arizona’s sixth tournament of the fall season, which began Sept. 21.

Huh and Todorova advanced to the doubles finals at the San Diego State Invitational on Sept. 30 before losing 8-4 to Pepperdine’s Anamika Bhargava and Tania Rice.

“”The girls are doing a good job recognizing what they need to do, and doing their best to work themselves in the right situations out on the court,”” Ramirez said.

As the fall is primarily for practice and preparation for the spring match-play season, Ramirez said he has tried to instill a sense of comfort, rather than urgency that forces unnecessary pressure.

He added that progress could accelerate if the team feels comfortable with its surroundings in competitive match play.

The work players put in over winter break will play a role in spring success, Ramirez said.

“”There’s a lot of work that still needs to be done,”” he said. “”Taking time off affects that.””