The Student News Site of University of Arizona

The Daily Wildcat

81° Tucson, AZ

The Daily Wildcat

The Daily Wildcat


UA student dies after fall injury at residence hall


UA freshman Michael Anderson, 19, died after falling from a cooling unit to the roof of Colonia de la Paz Residence Hall early this morning

A UA student has died from injuries sustained from a fall at Colonia de la Paz Residence Hall early Friday morning.

The student has been identified as Michael Evan Anderson, 19, a pre-business freshman, from Mission Viejo, Calif.

The University of Arizona Police Department received a call at 3:55 a.m. in reference to a fall injury, according to Sgt. Filbert Barrera, UAPD public information officer. Tucson Fire Department attempted to resuscitate Anderson, but he was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after UAPD arrived. A medical examiner came and collected the remains.

Anderson, a resident of Colonia de la Paz, was with a friend climbing on a tower-like ventilation structure on top of the residence hall when he fell, Barrera said. The fall is believed to be an accident.

Anderson’s friend said the two had gained access to the roof by climbing an exterior wall of the residence hall, according to Barrera. Anderson and the friend then climbed the metal frame of a 20-foot cooling unit and Anderson fell from the cooling unit onto the roof.

UAPD is currently investigating what the student was doing and why he was up on the roof, according to Barrera.

UAPD is currently working with Residence Life and the Dean of Students Office to address the concerns and well-being of friends and other residents who have been affected. UAPD is also talking with UA Communications.

Residence Life sent an email to UA residents offering its services to anyone who may need them. Residence Life also suggested residents inform their parents of the incident as they may be worried when they hear the news.

Drake Pierre, a business freshman and resident of Colonia de la Paz, said his friends were concerned about him when they learned of the death at Colonia de la Paz, when the name hadn’t yet been released.

“I got a text from a friend asking if I was alive and I said ‘Yes, why wouldn’t I be,’“Pierre said. “Then they told me that and then I looked up the report to confirm.”

Check back for more updates.

-Adriana Espinosa and Jordan Fowler contributed reporting to this article.

More to Discover
Activate Search