Tuitama has MIP court date Friday

Willie Tuitama
    Willie Tuitama

UA starting quarterback Willie Tuitama was cited and released for a minor in possession of alcohol on Feb. 16, according to a police report.

At 8:24 p.m., a University of Arizona Police Department officer approached Tuitama’s car after he heard tires spin out and loud exhaust “”indicating quick acceleration”” in the southwest corner of a parking lot at the corner of East First Street and North Vine Avenue, reports stated.

When the officer approached the Chevy Tahoe, it was parked, the engine was off and the driver’s seat was empty. Tuitama, 20, and three other occupants were standing outside the vehicle when they were approached, but the sophomore admitted to the officer that he had been driving.

The officer then noticed “”bloodshot eyes and a moderate odor of intoxicants coming from his mouth,”” reports stated, and Tuitama later admitted he had been drinking. He was then cited and released for underage drinking.

UAPD spokesman Eugene Mejia said Tuitama couldn’t be charged with a DUI if he wasn’t operating the car at the time the officer approached. In the report, the arresting officer stated he hadn’t seen Tuitama driving.

Two alcohol bottles were seen in the car, but they couldn’t be recovered at the time because the Tahoe was locked and no keys were available to unlock it.

The officer met Tuitama at his car 2 1/2 hours later, where Tuitama gave the officer a 1.75-liter bottle of brandy that was one-third full and a half-full 750-milliliter bottle of Hpnotiq liqueur. The contents of both bottles were poured out and later disposed of at UAPD headquarters.

Tuitama has a court date set for Friday at 9 a.m. He faces probation, a fine or enrollment in a diversion program, Mejia said.