Police Beat: September 17

“Enough … maybe too much.”

A female student was diverted to the Dean of Students Office for minor with spirituous liquor in body on Sept. 6.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer responded to a call around 3 a.m. of a female student passed out on the sidewalk in front of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority house.

Upon arrival, a passerby flagged down the officer, directing them to the woman lying on the sidewalk. The officer noted that she was breathing but unresponsive, and the officer identified her by her CatCard that was with her.

The Tucson Fire Department and UA Emergency Medical Services were both brought onto the scene to evaluate the female student. They were able to wake her up and clear her.

The woman told TFD that she had been drinking at an off-campus party, and when asked how much she had to drink, she said, “Enough … maybe too much.”

She did not give the location of where the drinking had taken place or what she had consumed. The officer explained the diversion program to the female student, and she said she understood that she was being diverted to the Dean of Students Office.

Game today, gone tomorrow

An individual had stolen several items from the south basketball gym equipment room of the Student Recreation Center on Sept. 6.

A UAPD officer was called on the scene by Rec Center employees regarding the possible theft of equipment for the wheelchair rugby team.

The team’s assistant coach said that two weeks prior, he had conducted inventory of the equipment, and nothing was missing at the time. The storage area in question is secured by a roll-up door. When the team came in to practice on Sept. 6, it was discovered that several items were missing, some of which were UA property.

The items included an air inflator and two rugby balls. A player also had personally-owned equipment stolen.

Of the personal items stolen were a black wheelchair bag and a pair of racing gloves. These were items he said he needed in order to participate in games.

The player said he had no interest in the judicial proceedings that would come and said he simply wanted his equipment back so he would be able to play.

The team’s equipment manager and Rec Center staff all informed the officer that the roll-up door for the storage could be locked. However, because of the several staff members with access to it, no one knew if it was locked at all times.

The Rec Center staff was provided with a case number, and Victims Rights forms were mailed to both the UA and to the player who had his personal equipment stolen.