Police Beat: October 21

Blame it on the mo-o-o-o-o-o-o-om

A UA student tried blaming his parents for providing him alcohol before being diverted to the Dean of Students Office for underage drinking.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer was patrolling the area near the football stadium during the Oct. 10 game when he saw a student propped up against a pillar. The student was struggling to maintain his balance.

The officer approached the student and noticed that his speech was incoherent, his eyes were bloodshot and he smelled of alcohol.

The student informed the officer that he was 19 years old and said his parents had given him two beers.
Medical respondents evaluated the student and eventually cleared him.

The officer called the student’s mother and she denied giving her son the beer. After the mother picked up the student, the officer issued him a diversion to the Dean of Students Office.

Blowin’ chunks

An underage non-UA student vomited into an air-conditioning fan at the football game during Family Weekend, spraying surrounding game attendees with his bile.

A UAPD officer observed the young man who was vomiting into the fan outside one of the stadium entrances. The officer approached him and could immediately smell alcohol and noticed that he had trouble maintaining a standing position.

After learning that the male was only 17 years old, the officer decided he needed to be medically evaluated.

The minor informed the officer that he had been given water during the game inside the stadium and noticed that it tasted weird. He also told the officer that he is Mormon and therefore would not drink alcohol.

He was given a Breathalyzer test, which revealed his blood-alcohol content was .158 percent. The minor then admitted that he had consumed alcohol before attending the game.

The officer attempted to call the minor’s mother but was unable to reach her. The minor’s girlfriend contacted her father, who assumed custody of him. 

His girlfriend’s father signed the minor’s medical release and also signed off as a guardian on a form from the Pima County Juvenile Court Center, ensuring the 17-year-old and one of his parents will attend the court date.