Volleyball Preview: Volleyball hits the road for the first time

UA head coach Dave Rubio said his No. 18 volleyball team was a work in progress last week, and it will try to take the next step this weekend.

After a successful performance last weekend, Arizona (3-0) travels to Louisville, Ky., for the Louisville Tournament to battle Tennessee Tech (1-2) today at 2 p.m., Dayton (3-0) tomorrow morning at 7, and No. 12 Louisville (2-1) at 4:30 p.m.

This weekend will be Arizona’s first-ever look at Tennessee Tech and Dayton, but they have faced Louisville, leading the all-time series 2-1.

With a considerable increase in talent on the opposition’s side from last weekend’s Arizona Invitational, the Wildcats are going to have more to deal with.

Although Arizona has never faced two of the three teams, Rubio knows what his team has in store.

“”I know that Dayton is very good, and Louisville is gigantic and physical,”” he said. “”They are going to be terrific teams.””

With high hopes of winning its second tournament in as many weeks, Arizona is looking to improve on some of the areas it lacked last weekend.

“”We are always working on passing and we are always working on defense and serving,”” Rubio said. “”Blocking has just become a priority as well because we are playing against some big and very physical teams.””

Although the level of competition this weekend will be significantly better, positive attitudes surround practice.

“”I am definitely excited for this weekend,”” said Brooke Buringrud, a sophomore outside hitter. “”I know we will play better against tougher teams. We just need to step up our game to play at that high level.””

Sophomore libero Brittany Leonard was right behind her teammate.

“”I am excited,”” she said. “”I think the tougher the opposition, the better we will play.””

Not only does the talent level of their opponents increase, but the added challenge of traveling for the first time in the young season has been added to the list.

Still, Buringrud is not worried about it.

“”Obviously traveling is stressful, but I kind of like it because there are no distractions,”” she said. “”I don’t really see it as a disadvantage besides not being on your home court.””

This week wasn’t only about working on things that needed to be improved on prior to the tournament; it was also about polishing some of the things the squad did well last weekend.

Freshman outside hitter Whitney Dosty said there are definitely things that the Wildcats did well that she would like to see the team continue this weekend.

“”I thought we served that ball very well last week,”” Dosty said. “”Our attack was also pretty good.””

In addition, it should help if Dosty plays at the same level she did a week ago when she averaged 3.50 kills, 0.90 digs and 0.80 blocks.

But the focus is still on teamwork.

“”I think we played really well as a team last week,”” Leonard said. “”I also thought we ran our system well.””

Rubio was also impressed with some of the positive things his team did well last week, and he said it is essential that they come out and do those things again.

“”I thought we really competed well,”” he said. “”I thought the girls hung in there when things were tough and they fought hard, and that is definitely one thing that I would like to see again this weekend.””

“”We know we aren’t going to win every single match, but we never plan on losing one either,”” he said later.