Tutogi willing to play any role if wins follow

Kevin Brost
Kevin Brost / Arizon Daily Wildcat

Arizona H-back Taimi Tutogi, like any Division I college football player, would like to have the ball in his hands more often.

But for the time being, the junior from Chula Vista, Calif., is just fine with how things are shaking out.

“I’d like to see myself get the ball more,” Tutogi said. “I think I can do a lot of good things. But I understand where we’re at … so whatever my job is, that’s what I’m gonna do.”

Tutogi has just two carries this season — he scored a touchdown against NAU — and nabbed one catch for 11 yards. But the 6-foot-1, 250-pound hybrid running back is fine with doing whatever it takes for Arizona to improve upon its 116th ranking in total rushing offense.

“I see that we’ve got to establish the run game,” Tutogi said. “If that means I’ve got to block, that means I’m going to have to get down and get dirty.”

Running effectively is something that Arizona’s going to have to do if it wants to upset No. 10 Oregon. But Tutogi said that the Wildcats aren’t concerned about who their opponent is, instead focusing on what they can control.

“The way I see it, we’re not playing Oregon; Oregon’s playing us,” Tutogi said. “We’ve lost to Oklahoma State and Stanford, but that’s all the more reason for us to come out and play with our heads on fire and get the job done.”

And even though Oregon ranks fifth in the country in scoring at 50.7 points per game, Tutogi said that the Arizona offense can’t worry about how many points the Ducks are going to score.

Instead, the offense needs to do what it can and hope the defense can step up and slow down Oregon’s potent offense.

“We don’t look at (Oregon) and go off of them,” Tutogi said. “We do our job and we do what we’ve got to do. They’ve got a good defense and a good offense, but at the same time, we have a good defense and a good offense. We’ve all just got to get in tune.”