‘Cats scratch out late win over Cal [w/ VIDEO]

For about 58 minutes of Saturday’s matchup with the California Golden Bears, the Arizona Wildcats’ offense was non-existent.

The Wildcats were held to just a field goal with 2:37 left in the game, as Cal was attempting a field goal with the score 9-3 in favor of the Bears.

Kicker Giorgio Tavecchio attempted a 40-yard field goal that missed wide right, sending Arizona Stadium into frenzy.

The Wildcat offense promptly marched down the field, converting on a third-and-five to extend its drive. The biggest play of the night, however, came when quarterback Nick Foles hit receiver Juron Criner for a 51-yard play.

“”Juron (Criner is) a big time play maker. It came up clutch time at the end and I knew I could go to him,”” said Foles.  “”For some reason they just left one guy on them and I knew at that battle, he’ll win.””

Foles then hit Criner in the end zone to give the Wildcats the only touchdown of the game and the 10-9 win.

The Wildcats improved to 4-0 and are now 1-0 in Pacific 10 Conference play.

Arizona’s defense came to play Saturday night. For the third game this season, the Wildcats held their opponents out of the end zone.

“”We just went out there and played with our hair on fire. Everyone want to have that chip on their shoulder,”” said Robert Golden. “”To get those guys to kick field goals to stop them from making touchdowns, that’s a big plus for us.””

Arizona had more third down conversions, more total offense plays and total offensive yards, and more time of possession, but did not have more points than Cal at the end of the half. Arizona went into the locker room down 6-0 to the Golden Bears.

The Wildcats had two turnovers, including an interception with 38 seconds left on the clock in the second quarter. His pass was intended for receiver David Douglas but was tipped into the hands of Christ Conte.

Check back on Monday for a full recap of Saturday’s game.