UA signee Bayless sixth-straight recruit to play in McDonald’s All-American Game

Correction

Former UA guard J.P. Prince was listed as a McDonald’s All-American in yesterday’s article “”UA signee Bayless sixth straight recruit to play in McDonald’s All-American game,”” (p.19) and in “”Numerous Numbers”” (p.14). Prince was a McDonald’s nominee but did not make the cut. No one in the 2005 recruiting class played in the game, snapping Arizona’s McDonald’s streak at three. The Wildcat regrets the error.

MESA – In what has become an annual occurrence for the top Arizona recruit, men’s basketball signee Jerryd Bayless has been selected to play in the McDonald’s All-American March 28 in Louisville, Ky., on ESPN.

Bayless’ selection marks the sixth consecutive season an Arizona signee has played in the game, following Hassan Adams, Mustafa Shakur, Jawann McClellan, J.P. Prince and Chase Budinger. He also becomes the first Arizona high school player to be selected for the contest since former UA forward Richard Jefferson earned such honors in 1998.

“”It’s something I’ve been looking forward to and trying to work for for a long time, and I finally got it,”” Bayless said.

Bayless, a guard from Phoenix St. Mary’s whose 2,756 career points put him within 250 of former UA guard and McDonald’s All-American Mike Bibby’s state record, joins 23 of the nation’s best high school players in the McDonald’s Game.

He was also chosen to play in the Jordan Brand All-American Classic April 21 in New York.