Ti Police get alleged heroin from traffic stop

TICONDEROGA – A traffic stop early Wednesday morning resulted in the seizure of several thousand dollars worth of heroin, according to Ticonderoga Town Police.

It started when police pulled over a car driven by Zack A. Muroff, 25, of Ticonderoga, at 2:05 a.m.

Inside the vehicle there were allegedly numerous packets of heroin, police said, with a street value of $7,500.

Muroff and passenger Joshua M. Jaenisch, 30, of Crown Point, were both arrested for felony third-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance. Muroff was also charged with misdemeanor second-degree aggravated unlicensed operation of a vehicle.

Both men were arraigned in Ticonderoga Town Court and sent to Essex County Jail when they couldn’t pay bail. Muroff’s bail was set at $25,000, and Jaenisch’s at $20,000.

Ticonderoga Police Chief Mark Johns said in a news release that police believe the heroin was going to be sold locally.

“”This is a significant arrest, because of the potential for these drugs to be sold on the streets of Ticonderoga. We have seen a disturbing increase in heroin use locally.””

He said arresting officers Sgt. Michael LaVallie and Patrolman Mark Belden called in a canine unit from the Warren County Sheriff’s Department to help search for drugs in the car.

“”The heroin was concealed in various places throughout the vehicle.””

Muroff’s automobile was impounded and taken to police headquarters.