Welcoming Wildcats back to campus

Members+of+B.L.A.C.K.+Cats+dance+during+the+Finding+Community+Welcome+event.+This+event+is+held+in+SUMC+during+the+first+week+of+school.+
Simon Asher
Members of B.L.A.C.K. Cats dance during the Finding Community Welcome event. This event is held in SUMC during the first week of school.

As campus starts to fill with wandering students who are returning or getting ready for college classes for the first time, the University of Arizona is ready to give them a Wildcat Welcome.

The Wildcat Welcome program is intended to welcome all Wildcats to campus and to a new semester by hosting a variety of events to build up the Wildcat experience, according to the website.  

Each event is geared toward helping students adjust to the university lifestyle and are put together through university programs ranging from the Associated Students of the University of Arizona to Think Tank

RELATED: UA cultural centers embrace campus diversity

The program started on Aug. 17 with UA Clicks, a program put on by each college to help students settle into the university and class atmosphere. Wildcat Welcome ends on Aug. 30. 

“Our university recognizes the importance of creating a welcoming experience for all of our incoming students,” said Catalina Carlos, associate director of new student experiences, student affairs and enrollment management. “It is imperative that students make that connection to what will be their home away from home for the next few years.”

Wildcat Welcome Events

August 20 will have four events, including Group Fitness Free Week at the Campus Recreation, which entails free fitness classes throughout the week. 

UA Bookstores is hosting Canyon Kickoff, featuring music, food, games and giveaways at the bookstore from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. 

Throughout the day the Associated Students of the University of Arizona Vendor Fair will be on the UA Mall from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Global Wildcats Night will be at Main Gate Square from 6-8 p.m., which allows students to get their “Global Wildcat Foodie Passport” by tasting different offerings of Main Gate Square. This event will include live music and discounts on food/beverage purchases. 

August 21 is the Women in Engineering lunch for incoming engineering students from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. 

Dog Days with the Dean is on Aug. 22 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Finding Community Welcome is an event hosted by the UA Cultural and Resource Centers as a way to connect with students and programs. This event runs Aug. 23 from 6-8 p.m. in the Student Union Memorial Center’s North Ballroom and includes free food, music and giveaways.

August 24 there is a ZonaZoo event at the Arizona Stadium from 7-9 p.m. and Bear Down for Honors on Aug. 25 from 9 a.m. to noon for incoming honors students.

August 28 from 3:30-4:30 p.m., in the Engineering Building courtyard, the UA Think Tank program will host an Ice Cream Social where students can speak with Think Tank workers and tutors over sundaes. Think Tank offers tutoring in math, writing and other subjects free to UA students. 

The program will end with the International Student Welcome Dinner for incoming engineering students on Aug. 30 from 5:30-7 p.m. in the Engineering Building courtyard.

RELATED: UA history & traditions: Welcome home Wildcats

Other Campus Events

Other big events aside from Wildcat Welcome are the Student Employment fair on Aug. 22 from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. in the SUMC Grand Ballroom, the Center for Creative Photography Student Open house on Aug. 23 from noon until 4 p.m. and a Learn to Ride Sun Tran event on Aug. 28 from 7-9 a.m. hosted by UA Parking and Transportation, which will feature a free breakfast and a walk through on how to use public transportation. 

“This is the first year that we made Wildcat Welcome a month-long event. Students will have questions and will need to know about resources beyond the first few days of classes,” Carlos said. “Our team believes in the importance of community and events for Spanish-speaking parents, commuter students, transfer students and all incoming students in general matter when it comes to creating that sense of family and community.” 

Follow Pascal Albright on Twitter