Date Book

• Doctoral oral defense. Randi S. Berlinger will discuss negotiating identities through language, learning, and conversations. 11 a.m. Education building, Room 312
  • Faculty Fellows Speaker Series. Deborah Whaley, from the department of Africana studies, will present “”Black Cat Got Your Tongue?: The Evolution of Catwoman from DC Comics to Halle Berry.”” Whaley will examine the ways readers and producers of Catwoman created gender, sexual, racial and economic narratives that appealed differently to male and female readers in a given historical moment. Noon to 1 p.m. Student Union Memorial Center, Gallagher Theater
  • Brown bag lecture series. Pima County environmental manager Sherry Ruther will be speaking about the Sonoran Desert Conservation Plan and how it was created, how it is currently being managed and future management goals. Bring your lunch and enjoy this lecture from Noon to 1 p.m., SUMC, Santa Cruz Room
  • Music. KAMP Student Radio will be jamming on the Mall. Noon to 1 p.m. UA Mall, main stage
  • Graduate writing workshop. Victoria Stefani of the Writing Skills Improvement Program will discuss tried-and-true strategies for written and oral exams. 4 p.m. Psychology building, Room 205
  • Culturally based substance-abuse conference. This conference is set to create a forum for therapists, researchers and community people to discuss the kinds of cultural interventions used as promising or best practices in the treatment of substance abuse in American Indians, Alaska Natives and Latinos. 6 p.m. Pre-registration $150, $200 at the door. Omni Tucson National Golf Resort and Spa