Police Beat

Moral: if your ID is fake, try not to lose your wallet

A man was cited and released for possession of a fictitious license on April 13 at 2:44 p.m.

Police responded to the CatCard office in the Student Union Memorial Center in reference to a wallet that had been turned in to them. Police collected the wallet and began to search it for identification. Inside, they found a California driver’s license that said the man who the wallet belonged to was 19. Upon further inspection, they found a second California driver’s license with a birth year of 1987, which made the man over 21. A records check of the driver’s license number on the second license showed that it did not belong to the man, but instead a woman who lived in California.

Police made contact with the man who came to the police station to pick up his wallet. Police asked him about the fictitious ID. He told them that he got it from a guy in California that his friend knew, but refused to give any information regarding the identity of his friend or the man who made the ID. He also told police that he had gotten it over a year ago for $140. He said he used the ID several time to purchase alcohol.

The man was cited and released on scene. He was given back his wallet, but the fake ID was confiscated.

Four found with drugs, alcohol in Babcock

Four people were arrested on various drug and alcohol charges on April 14 at 1:44 a.m.

Police responded to Babcock Residence Hall in reference to two men in the swimming pool area smoking marijuana. When they arrived they made contact with the resident assistant who reported the incident. She said that while doing her rounds she saw the men and asked them what they were doing since the pool area was closed. The two men replied that they were “”smoking stogies.”” She said she told the men to leave and they said “”What? Now?”” She then became nervous and told them she was going to call the police.

Police made contact with the men. They told the officers that they were just smoking cigarettes and cigars when the woman told them to leave. One of the men told officers he was not a student and the other said that he used to be. They would not tell officers if they were visiting anyone in the dorms, but they did say that they were coming from one of the men’s houses on Alvernon Way. They would not tell police how they got there, but the officers noted that one man did not have any shoes on. When they asked him where his shoes were, he responded “”You know, I really don’t know.””

Police separated the men to question them. One of the men told the officer they were only smoking cigars and that they were there visiting the other man’s girlfriend who lived in the dorm. He said they were doing shots of Jagermeister in the woman’s room. He said there was also another woman in the room.

Police went to the woman’s room. As they approached her door, a woman walked out of the room, leaving the door open. An officer asked her if she was the resident of the room. The woman said, “”I don’t have to answer that.”” She remained in the doorway. The officer asked her several more times for her name and if she was the resident of the room. She continued refusing and became belligerent. Police could detect an odor of intoxicants coming from her as she spoke. She also had slurred speech, was unsteady on her feet and had bloodshot, watery eyes. They asked her if her name was what one of the men had told them. She raised her voice to the officers and said, “”Why do you want to know? I don’t have to answer that.”” They again asked her who she was, she said, “”Who am I? Who are you?”” The police once again identified themselves to her and she responded, “”I don’t see anything. There’s nothing there and who are you?”” She stepped back into the room, leaving the door open.

From the doorway, one officer could see another woman sleeping in a sleeping bag on the floor. There was also a bottle of Budweiser beer and a bottle of Jagermeister on the table.

Police asked the woman for her ID. She refused, saying “”I don’t have to show you that.”” They told her that they had talked to the men outside, including her boyfriend, and wanted to know if they had been in the room. The woman continued to be uncooperative. After more questioning, the woman finally told officers that her ID was in her wallet on the bed. She told police they could enter her room.

When they walked in, they saw a green, leafy substance in a black plastic tray on the table. It was separated into two piles by a Safeway shopping card.

Police told the woman to wake up the other woman who was sleeping on the floor. She attempted to wake her several times before she got up.

When police tried to question the first woman, she said, “”To tell you the truth, I don’t want to answer your questions.”” Police did not question her any more.

Police began to question the other woman. She smelled strongly of intoxicants, had slurred speech and bloodshot, watery eyes. She told officers that she was a senior at Sahuaro High School and that she and the other woman had been friends for a long time. The woman said that she had been dropped off by her parents at her friend’s dorm room because it was her friend’s birthday and they were having a sleepover. She admitted to having a couple of shots of Jagermeister and a couple of beers while in the room. She also admitted that they were both smoking marijuana from a pipe while in the room. Police could not locate the pipe. The woman was cited and released for possession of marijuana and being a minor in possession of alcohol.

The woman who lived in the room and her boyfriend were handcuffed and taken to the Pima County Jail and booked. The woman was charged with possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia and being a minor in possession of alcohol. She was also referred to the Dean of Students Office. The man was charged with possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia and furnishing liquor to a minor.

The other man by the pool was cited and released for furnishing liquor to a minor. The alcohol was disposed of and the marijuana was confiscated.