Summer fashion tips

Summertime has arrived, and so has the heat. Soon, temperatures won’t just reach the triple digits — they’ll stay there. Thankfully, designers tweaked their minimalistic trends for 2011, and we’ve got a plethora of options to combat looking gross and sweaty as the season drags on.

GIRLS

Now more than ever, fabric is king. Trust cotton, linen and silk to be your three best friends during hot summer months. But this season, your favorite lightweight tees and semi-sheer tanks don’t have to be proper, and your prints don’t have to be polite.

Simply elegant: Monochromatic color palettes  are here in a big way, so when you’re not too sure what to wear for a late brunch or a day on the lake, just grab two of the same color and get outside already. Voila! Fashion made easy.

The bold and the fearless: For those with more adventurous tastes, players like Stella McCartney, Prada, and others have gone completely wild. It’s now totally acceptable to pick the largest and loudest prints and patterns you can find and wear them all at once. Except for mixed and matched plaids, which is never, ever OK.

The cheap trick: No money? No problem. Pick up a neon bracelet or a bright orange nail polish. Throwing on a boldly colored accessory or wearing a bold nail is a simple nod to the season’s color-blocked regime, and it won’t require too much money or extra thought.

GUYS

We didn’t forget about you, guys. The summer heat may be on, but designers know all about a dude’s desire to stay extra cool.

Duly noted: The khaki suit is back. Scratch that, make that the khaki anything. Toss the deep blacks and forest browns of the fall into the closet, and go for a lighter look and feel.

Get ballsy: When it comes to this season’s color scheme, go big or go home. Get ballsy this year with bright colors and slim fits. The women may be peacocking like nobody’s business this summer, but you don’t have to be outdone.

Keep it fresh: Linen will keep the sweat to a minimum and chinos are here to stay. Pull out those soft stretch tees, and show up to that late-night house party looking like the freshest breeze anyone’s felt all day.