“ASUA Student elections: Hertzog, Reinsch roll on to generals”

ASUA Student elections: Hertzog, Reinsch roll on to generals

The Hertzog-Reinsch team took first place for both president and administrative vice president in the student government primary elections, meaning the student body must have seen a lot of yellow recently.

“”The school can expect to see a lot more yellow,”” said Jami Reinsch, referring to the yellow-themed campaign she shares with Erin Hertzog.

Student cast 3,691 online ballots, 115 less than last year’s turnout, in the Associated Students of the University of Arizona primary elections that ended last night at 8.

Hertzog, who is acting ASUA president, took 54 percent of the vote for president, beating the runner up, Matt Van Horn, by 1,057 votes.

“”I’m shaking with excitement,”” Hertzog said. “”I didn’t expect to get 50 percent of the vote. I’ve never been so nervous before.””

Matt Van Horn, with 24 percent of the vote, will advance with Hertzog to the general election. The third presidential candidate, Sen. Ryan Montana Erickson, who trailed 84 votes behind Van Horn, will not advance.

“”The reason I’m still here is because students want to see change,”” Van Horn said. “”They want ASUA to go in a new direction, and I will be that change.””

Erickson said the loss hadn’t hit him as of last night, but said he would remain active in student government and see that those who are elected pursue his goals for ASUA.

“”The things that I think are important on this campus I want to see addressed, whether I personally address them or not,”” Erickson said.

Reinsch, who has been campaigning with Hertzog, also drew a large percentage, receiving 44 percent of the vote for administrative vice president.

Advancing with Reinsch is Ty Reece, who received 30 percent of the vote.

“”People respond well when you give them a good handshake,”” said Reece, who was confirmed yesterday as ASUA’s 10th senator replacing Sen. Matt Loehman, who resigned in January for health reasons.

Rhonda Tubbs, who hasn’t been able to campaign since Monday because of elections code violations, will not advance – despite grabbing first place for executive vice president with 34 percent of the vote. Tubbs was disqualified from the election for receiving a third major violation yesterday.

David Reece, with 32 percent of the vote, and Sen. Patrick Cook, who received 20 percent, will be on the general elections ballot for administrative vice president. Cook, who also had to discontinue his campaign Monday for violations, will advance because Tubbs was disqualified.

Cook said though he can no longer campaign, he is hopeful word-of-mouth can help him win in the general elections on March 7 and 8.

“”I’m a little upset I didn’t do as well as I expected,”” said Cook, an education junior.

David Reece, who is the cousin of Ty Reece, said he was glad he won, but the results had not sunk in.

“”I have a piece of paper in my pocket telling me the numbers, but my head hasn’t processed it yet,”” David Reece said. “”My plan is to sleep.””

The senatorial candidates were ranked according to the percentage of votes received but all will advance to the general elections because there is room for 20 on the ballot.

Lauren E. Conway received 1,676 votes, making her the senatorial candidate with the most votes.

Astid Henao, running for senator, said that she felt even more dedicated to her platform because she and Erickson were the only two students campaigning on minority issues.

“”Diversity is something I feel strongly about, not just because Montana didn’t move on, but because these are issues pertinent to this campus and no other candidates, I believe, are addressing those issues,”” Henao said.

Next up for Hertzog and Van Horn is a presidential debate Tuesday in the Student Union Memorial Center Kiva Room at 7 p.m. A vice presidential debate will be held Wednesday in the Rincon Room at 7 p.m.

– Zach Colick also contributed to this report