Police Beat: October 8

Caught in a haze

Two UA students were diverted to the Dean of Students Office  for possession of marijuana and paraphernalia on Sept. 30.

Two University of Arizona Police Department officers went to the Apache-Santa Cruz Residence Hall regarding a smell of marijuana coming from one of the rooms. When the officers arrived, a resident assistant walked them to the room where there was an odor of marijuana. Upon arrival outside of the room, the officers could hear people inside laughing, coughing and talking amongst each other.

The officer knocked repeatedly, saying who he was, and a male student opened the door. The officer asked him if he was a resident of the room, and the student confirmed he was. The officer also asked if he could enter the room, and the student said, “Sure.”

One of the officers saw a towel pushed back after being placed near the bottom of the door and smelled marijuana in the room. The officer also confirmed the other resident was among the group of people in the room.

After asking the residents for identification, the officer announced he was there regarding an odor of marijuana and asked the residents where it was located.

One resident said they had some marijuana and handed it over to the officer. There were three plastic bags and two burned and one unburned collection of buds.

The officer read the residents their Miranda rights, and the residents said they understood.

The officer also asked the residents where they got the marijuana, and they told the officer they bought it for $20 from an unknown student by Arizona Stadium. One of the residents said he paid for it but that both used it.

The officer also asked how they smoked the marijuana, and they said they used a vaporizer. They showed it to the officer but didn’t say where they got it. The vaporizer was a small box with a cup and dryer sheets inside.

Curbside Pickup

An individual was escorted to University of Arizona Medical Center on Sept. 28 for extreme intoxication.

A UAPD officer was contacted around 1 a.m. The individual who contacted the officer said she was at a party and saw a woman lying on the curb outside of Sixth Street and Campbell Avenue. The woman informed the individual of where she lived.

The individual then placed the woman in the front seat of her vehicle and escorted her to her residence hall. The individual was unable to wake the woman, prompting her to call UAPD for assistance.

Tucson Fire Department and University Emergency Medical Services EMTs were contacted. The woman had an Arizona driver’s license and was not a UA student.

She had a strong odor of intoxicants on her breath and had been vomiting. She was not coherent enough to answer questions.TFD determined that she required medical attention, and an ambulance transported her to UAMC.