Datebook

• “”International Symposium on Medieval and Renaissance Studies: Old Age.”” This international symposium with 25 participants from all over the world examines the phenomenon of old age in medieval and Renaissance literature, history and art. The symposium continues tomorrow. 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. $15 per day. UA Main Library, Special Collections Conference Room
  • Doctoral final oral defense. Patrick S. Dieveney will discuss philosophy, particularly quantification and indispensable ontology. 9:30 a.m. Social Sciences building, Room 140
  • Sociology lecture. Professor Thomas J. Scheff from the UC-Santa Barbara Emeritus Department of Sociology will discuss “”Juvenile Connections: A Parable.”” Noon. Social Sciences building, Room 415
  • Doctoral oral defense. Carl D. Okeson will discuss agricultural and biosystems engineering, particularly “”In-Vitro Analysis of the Respiratory Toxicities of Fossil Fuel Combustion Ashes.”” 3 p.m. Shantz building, Room 440
  • UApresents: “”STOMP.”” The blockbuster, smash-hit, sold-out-wherever-it-goes “”STOMP”” is a movement of bodies, objects, sounds and abstract ideas. 8 p.m. $25 to $46. Centennial Hall
  • Program in applied mathematics colloquium. Antti Kupiainen, Rutgers University and University of Helsinki, will speak on Fourier’s law of heat and conduction. 4 p.m. Math building, Room 501. Refreshments will be served at 3:30 p.m. in Math building, Room 401N
  • Biochemistry and molecular biophysics seminar. William Scott from the UC-Santa Cruz Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry will discuss RNA genomes and their structures. 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. BioSciences West building, Room 208