Men’s golf fights to 6th-place tie in Hawaii

The No. 32 Arizona men’s golf team tied for sixth place Friday at the John Burns Intercollegiate at Leilehua Golf Club in Wahaiwa, Hawaii.

The team finished 4-under par with a three-round total of 860, as a 6-under 294 Wednesday quickly put the Wildcats in the back of the pack.

“”The first day, nobody was playing well, and you could tell the team didn’t seem to have it,”” said senior Brian Prouty. “”None of us were hitting the ball well and none of us were getting up and down.””

Arizona shot a 7-under 281 on Thursday to move up to ninth among 22 teams, but it wasn’t enough to compete with the tournament leaders.

The Wildcats ended 26 shots behind champion No. 19 Brigham Young, which shot an 18-under 270 Friday to overtake No. 9 UNLV.

The Wildcats were led once again by the play of Prouty, who tied for fourth with an 8-under 208.

“”I felt I could win the tournament from the first tee box,”” Prouty said. “”I didn’t play too well the first round, but I came back … to get it within where I actually had a chance to win the tournament.””

Head coach Rick LaRose called Prouty “”by far and away the best player on the team right now.””

“”He had one bad round … or else he might have won the title,”” LaRose said.

Seniors Nathan Tyler and Josh Esler and sophomore Nick Park all shot even-par 72s on Friday. Park tied for 44th place with a 2-over 218, while Tyler tied for 63rd place at 4-over 220 and Esler tied for 71st place at 5-over 221.

Senior Ben Marsh, who was competing only as an individual, shot an even-par 216 to tie for 32nd place.

Inconsistency plagued the Wildcats’ throughout the tournament, turning in only three rounds under par.

“”We’re just not getting it done through the lineup,”” LaRose said.

Arizona next competes March 9-11 at the Las Vegas Invitational .

“”We’ll do some thinking before we put a lineup together for that,”” LaRose said. “”There will certainly be some changes made, and hopefully we’ll be ready to play by then.””