Arizona Wildcats football notes: Magee receives coaching honors

Colin Prenger/Arizona Daily Wildcat Ka’Deem Carey, No. 25, runs for a touchdown as UA beat OSU 59-38 on Sept. 7, 2012.

Ka’Deem Carey’s historic season for the Arizona football team has been the biggest storyline as the UA prepares for the New Mexico Bowl on Dec. 15 and the sophomore running back garners numerous accolades.

On Sunday, his coach got in on the awards attention. Calvin Magee, Arizona’s co-offensive coordinator and running backs coach, was named the 2012 FootbalLScoop running backs coach of the year.

Magee wasn’t available to speak to the media after Sunday’s practice.

“How about that,” head coach Rich Rodriguez said. “I think a lot of our [coaches] … are deserving.

“Calvin does a great job every year with our backs, but when you have a guy like Ka’Deem you get a little more attention.”

Carey leads the nation in rushing with 146.4 yards per game and has 21 total touchdowns for the 7-5 Wildcats, and will likely be a consensus All-American after being named to the Walter Camp, CBS Sports and Sporting News All-American teams, in addition to Athlon Sports.

One of the things Carey has improved on the most this year he attributes to Magee.

“The cutback lanes,” Carey said. “He’ll preach to you to hit the cutback. And once I start hitting it that’s when I turned into a different back. I’m always gonna remember that.”

When Magee was first hired at the end of August to join Rodriguez’s staff, who he’s coached alongside for 11 seasons, one of the first things he did was call Arizona’s star running back, and looking back Carey can’t believe what he’s already accomplished with his new coach.

“We clicked right away,” Carey said. “He gave me a phone call, he made me feel comfortable and said that it’s gonna be a big year. [He said] ‘Lets get after it.’”

Foles leads Eagles to last second win

Nick Foles, Arizona’s all-time leading passer in yards and completion percentage, was named the starter for the last four weeks of the season for the Philadelphia Eagles.

Foles was inserted into the lineup after starter Mike Vick suffered a concussion, but head coach Andy Reid decided to go with the ex-Wildcat going forward.

On Sunday against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, that looked like a good call.

Not only did Foles complete 32-of-51 passes for 381, 2 touchdowns and zero interceptions, but he — gasp — led the Eagles in rushing with 27 yards and three carries and a touchdown.

Yes, the same 6-foot-5, 243-pounder who never led Arizona in rushing in three years and accumulated a grand total of negative yards — 283 to be exact — led an NFL franchise in rushing.

Oh, and he led the Eagles on a game-winning touchdown drive. Foles drove the Eagles 64 yards in less than three minutes, with Philadelphia trailing 21-16, and finished the drive with a 1-yard touchdown pass to receiver Jeremy Maclin with one second remaining.

Two plays earlier, on 4th and five at Tampa Bay’s 23-yard line, Foles completed a 22-yard pass to Jason Avant and immediately spiked the ball, giving him the chance to through the walk-off touchdown to Maclin.

According to Reid, Foles called the final play himself.

“He wanted that last play,” Reid told reporters after the game. “He called it, he wanted it, and he executed it.”

Carey, who played with Foles last year at the UA, didn’t get to see any of the game but was happy for his former teammate, and, well, his favorite team.

“Oh my god, my Eagles won,” Carey said, laughing. “That’s tight. I tell him [Foles] just keep going. It’s a dream come true, it’s a blessing. I feel like I know what he’s feeling out there on the field. I just know what he’s thinking, and he’s a good dude out there.”

Up Next:

Arizona against Nevada in the New Mexico Bowl

When: Dec. 15, 11 a.m.

Where: Albuquerque, N.M.

TV: ESPN