“Soccer faces Michigan, Cal State Northridge”

The 2008 season has begun nearly identically to last year for the Arizona soccer team.

Through six games in 2007, the Wildcats held the same 4-2-0 record as they do this current season.

Last year, however, Arizona only saw two wins from the sixth contest on.

Already with a win in their sixth game, the Wildcats continue tonight on a trek that has hopes of ending with more than one more victory.

After spending the last two weekends in hurricane-ridden Texas – where the team went 1-1ÿ- Arizona returns home to take on Michigan (3-3-1) tonight at 7 and California State Northridge (5-1-0) Sunday at 1 p.m.

Thus far, the Wildcats have proven to be unbeatable on their home turf with wins in each of their three games in Tucson.

This, along with sloppy road performances by the Wolverines, could mean Arizona will inch closer to last season’s win total tonight.

Michigan enters the game with a 1-2-1 record on the road and currently sits in 10th place in the Big 10 Conference.

The Wolverines also bring up the rear for the conference in goals allowed with 17 on the year.

Meanwhile, Arizona enters tonight’s contest averaging exactly two goals per game, led by forward Renae Cuellar, who sits atop the team standings with four goals and nine points of her own.

With three other Wildcats also netting multiple goals on the season – forwards London King, Jacqueline Broussard and Karina Camacho – Arizona is on a similar two-goal-per-game pace as it had in 2007 through the first six games of the season.

But with that pace drastically dropping off following this point last year, this weekend could give the Wildcats a glimpse of what to expect for the remainder of the year.

Escaping the weekend with a pair of wins will become tougher Sunday when the Big West-leading Matadors come to Tucson.

In addition to starting the season with a 5-1 record, Cal State Northridge also enters Sunday’s contest allowing only one goal per game on average. This could be a source of concern for the Wildcats, who are 1-2 thus far on the year in games in which they scored one or no goals.

But with the Matadors averaging only slightly above two goals per game, Arizona goalkeeper Chelsea McIntyre could be a deciding factor.

Thus far on the year, the junior has already recorded three shutouts while allowing a measly four goals and maintaining a solid .875 save percentage – good for No. 3 in the Pac-10.