Former Wildcat Klein to coach at UNLV

Jennifer Klein
    Jennifer Klein

Former Arizona soccer player Jennifer Klein chose to put her soccer training to use instead of her degree in biology when she recently signed on as a full-time assistant coach for UNLV.

Klein, who was a volunteer assistant for the Wildcats last season and a player from 2002-2005, began working with the Rebels on Aug. 15. The assistant position opened up for Klein when former assistant coach Michael Needham left for a similar position at George Mason.

“”I’m so happy for her,”” said UA head coach Dan Tobias. “”She’s such a great person. It’s great for her to get an opportunity like this.””

This is not Klein’s first coaching job. In addition to her position at Arizona, Klein was on the staff for the Olympic Development Program youth soccer league.

Among her accomplishments with the league was winning the 2007 Goliath Cup as head coach of the ’94 Girls team, according to UNLV’s athletic Web site. Klein has also coached the Arizona Rush club team.

Klein started 59 of 77 games play at Arizona. She scored five goals and had nine assists in her career, and was a team captain in her last two seasons.

During that period, the Wildcats won their first Pacific 10 Conference title in 2004 and made it to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament in 2005.

Tobias said he expects Klein to have a long career in coaching.

“”She was an outstanding student-athlete and a great role model,”” he added.