Ease into Spring Break by checking out what’s new on Netflix in March

Sam Gross

As the weather outside finally starts to warm up and the month of March slowly begins to settle in, us college students can finally look toward the future and realize that spring break is almost here. Some of us may have terrifically exciting plans for this much needed week-long break from school, but for those who don’t, that’s OK too. 

Netflix’s new batch of shows and movies for the month can easily turn anyone’s boring, lonely spring break, into a wonderful online binge fest. When you find yourself in need of something to watch this month, make sure to check out some of these titles.

As is typical with Netflix, the biggest amount of content will hit the site on the first of the month, with smaller amounts of material rolling in as the month progresses. On March 1, viewers can get their dinosaur fix with the first and third “Jurassic Park” movies.  Any Jack Black fans will have something to get excited about come March 1 when the slapstick-filled ridiculous “Nacho Libre” and the far better and much funnier “Tenacious D: The Pick of Destiny” become available . Both certainly utilize Jack Black’s comedic talents, but in very different ways. 

via GIPHY

Viewers can also add the hilarious rock band mockumentary “This Is Spinal Tap,” and the wonderful Woody Allen comedy “Midnight in Paris” to their Netflix repertoire. This still only represents the first day of the month .

Movies are all fine and dandy, but like any avid Netflix user knows these days, the company’s real strength lies in the television industry, especially with its originally produced shows. Just like every month, March will bring in another batch of original Netflix shows, making it difficult for many to do anything other than stay in bed all day and watch them.

On March 10, viewers will receive season 2 of Netflix original series “Love.” Judd Apatow served as one of the creators on this series starring Paul Rust and Gillian Jacobs as Gus and Mickey, two lonely, quirky souls who just can’t seem to get their relationship to work out. This series is a hilarious, intelligent and thoughtful look at dating and relationships in the modern world, and has the same Apatowian feeling that can be seen in Judd Apatow’s movies.

via GIPHY

Another highly anticipated March Netflix original is “Marvel’s Iron Fist”, the latest series resulting from the collaboration between Netflix and Marvel that has brought series’ like “Daredevil,” “Jessica Jones” and “Luke Cage.” “Iron Fist” should be a hit given the success of the previous shows, and will likely spawn more Netflix-Marvel collaborations in the future.

Other Netflix original shows to look forward to in March are new seasons of “Grace and Frankie” and “Trailer Park Boys,” along with the first season of new series “Samurai Gourmet” and “13 Reasons Why.” Selena Gomez helped produce “13 Reasons Why,” and that in itself has to be enough of a reason to watch it, or to not watch it .

On March 31, viewers can watch Netflix original film “The Discovery” starring Jason Segel and Rooney Mara. In this film, proof of the afterlife is scientifically discovered, causing massive amounts of suicides around the world. This does sound a bit depressing, but interesting nonetheless .

Netflix is not the only online streaming service out there, and Hulu also has some quality additions in March. Make sure to check out movies like “Carrie” and “Top Gun,” as well as the British series “National Treasure.” Don’t get too excited though. This series has no relation to the Nicolas Cage films.

Amazon Prime has some quality additions as well like a new season of “Orphan Black,” a new season of “Hand of God,” and movies like “Hannibal” and “What We Do in the Shadows.”

via GIPHY

Regardless of what streaming platform you use, you should find yourself with plenty to watch in the month of March. Hopefully these shows and movies will make your spring break a little less lonely, but always remember: please binge responsibly.

Follow Alec Kuehnle on Twitter