“Pitchers Perry, Schlereth drafted in first round”

UA right handed pitcher Ryan Perry was selected in the first round, 21st overall, of the 2008 MLB Draft on Thursday by the Detroit Tigers.

Two key components to the Arizona baseball team’s deep and talented bullpen are ready for the Big Leagues.

UA relief pitcher Ryan Perry was selected 21st overall by the Detroit Tigers in the 2008 MLB Draft today.

Just five picks later, his teammate, Daniel Schlereth, was selected 26th overall by the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Ten pitchers composed the first round of the draft, seen live on ESPN2 at 11 a.m.

Perry, a highly touted powerful relief pitcher, moved to the bullpen after three starts this season. Since then, the Marana native has posted 5-1 with a 1.74 ERA in the bullpen.

With a consistent 98 mph fastball, Perry reached 100 last weekend in the Ann Arbor, Mich., NCAA regional.

Perry has registered 44 strikeouts and held opponents to a .179 batting average.

Schlereth, a left-handed reliever, posted a 0.65 ERA and 35 strikeouts in his last 17 appearances.

“”There’s been times for me as a parent, I’ve really been a jerk when it comes to this because I demanded so much from (Daniel),”” said his father, Mark Schlereth, in an interview with the Daily Wildcat. “”Now that he’s older and a little wiser and mature, now he understands why at 12 years old I was chewing him out.

“”I want him to have the best opportunity to play at the next level,”” he added. “”I always knew he had the talent to play at the next level. I just wanted him to mentally be tough enough to handle the ups and downs and challenges.””

Schlereth sits eighth in the Pacific 10 Conference in strikeouts with with 75 Ks on the season.

The Wildcats are currently in Miami for this weekend’s three-game series with the Hurricanes beginning June 6. The winner will advance to the College World Series in Omaha, Neb.

Check back throughout the afternoon for 2008 MLB Draft Coverage from the Arizona Daily Wildcat