“Icecats lock horns with Rams, Buffaloes in last road trip”

Icecats forward Joe Del Rossi battles for the puck with Adrian Colleges Dominic Scala during a 5-3 UA win in on Jan. 25 in the Tucson Convention Center. The Icecats take on Colorado State tonight and Colorado on Saturday in their final road trip of the season.
    Icecats forward Joe Del Rossi battles for the puck with Adrian College’s Dominic Scala during a 5-3 UA win in on Jan. 25 in the Tucson Convention Center. The Icecats take on Colorado State tonight and Colorado on Saturday in their final road trip of the season.

The Arizona club hockey team will try to get over a .500 winning percentage for the first time this season with a two-game sweep this weekend. The Icecats (11-12-2) will face

Colorado State today in Fort Collins and will travel to Boulder on Saturday to play Colorado.

This will be the final road trip of the year for Arizona, and for the six seniors on the team this will most likely be the final road trip of their Icecats careers, considering they’re probably not going to make it to the American Collegiate Hockey Association National Championship Tournament.

“”The entire second half of the season we’ve tried to have more fun and enjoy our last few games,”” said senior goaltender Nick Boddy. “”We (have) definitely been talking about how this will be our last road trip and we want to end on positive note.””

Boddy is coming off a weekend in which he recorded a total of 99 saves in a sweep of Weber State and he will have to play similarly for the Icecats to come up with similar outcome this weekend.

“”You don’t win a lot of hockey games without goaltending and Boddy has been solid,”” said head coach Leo Golembiewski.

Icecats forward Jordan Shupan, who was expected to return this weekend from a dislocated right shoulder, will not play this weekend but hopes to return next weekend against ASU. Also, the status of defenseman Austin Capobianco for this weekend’s games is uncertain.

The Icecats will play on two different sized rinks this weekend in which Golembiewski said will be a major adjustment for the team. Colorado State has a full-length rink but Colorado has a rink that has no neutral zone.

In the last game the Icecats had against the Rams, Arizona lost 3-4 in overtime, a night after beating them 4-2.

Arizona went a combined 1-2-1 against both Colorado State and Colorado in their meetings at the Tucson Convention Center earlier this season.

“”Since we already played them two times each, we know what both teams have to offer,”” Golembiewski said. “”You can’t win on the road after a 14-hour bus ride without having a team effort. We have to come out with our game plan in mind and hit them with our effort.””

The Icecats are on their second three-game winning streak of the season and are looking to sweep to record their first five-game winning streak of the season.

“”If we can pull off ending the season with a winning record,”” Boddy said, “”then I think we have accomplished our goals since we fell into that hole in the beginning of the season.””