W-hoops can’t pull off sweep in Washington

Most teams aim for sweeps on Pacific 10 Conference away trips, but the Arizona women’s basketball team will accept a split after its 74-59 loss to Washington on Saturday.

On a voyage that began with its first conference win over Washington State, Arizona (7-13, 1-8 Pac-10) lost not only the chance to sweep its first road trip since the 2004-2005 season, but the confidence, intensity and sparse momentum gained from winning in Pullman, Wash.

“”(Before the game, we were) pretty motivated and excited by trying to get a sweep,”” said guard Ashley Whisonant.

Turnovers, missed free throws and a lack of rebounding, however, shot the Wildcats’ chances of sealing up a game that was tied with eight minutes to play. Arizona turned the ball over 26 times, allowed 11 offensive rebounds and missed all four of its second-half free throws.

Washington (8-13, 3-6) tore into a 19-4 run to ice an insurmountable 65-53 lead.

“”We kind of gave up,”” said Whisonant, who scored 20 points, added seven assists and three steals,in 37 minutes.

Arizona’s lack of bench support put a burden on its comeback chances towards the end, as tired legs failed to overcome a bench that only scored eight points. Forward Ify Ibekwe scored all eight and grabbed 10 rebounds, while forward Sarah Hays and guard Marie McGee played a combined 33 minutes without scoring.

Washington’s bench dropped 30 points while all 11 Huskies played minutes.

“”(We) really didn’t get much of anything (from the bench),”” said UA head coach Joan Bonvicini. “”We’ve got to get more players to produce and make plays and contribute.””

Both Arizona and Washington implemented an array of defenses in a chess match of a game.

After switching to a zone defense at halftime of the Washington State game on Thursday, Arizona threw a shuffle in Seattle between a 3-2 zone and man-to-man defense that Bonvicini described as frustrating to Washington’s perimeter shooters – the Huskies’ three starting guards only scored 14 points.

Washington forward Katelan Redmon scored a team-high 18 points.

Washington placed a box-and-one on Rheya Neabors, mimicking the same frustration the Huskies faced.

“”(We’re going to) take it one game at a time, (while trying) to build our confidence back up and believe in ourselves,”” Bonvicini said.