Tennis teams ink 5-star recruits

Sarah Landsman
    Sarah Landsman

The Arizona men’s and women’s tennis teams gave thanks for more than just turkey and football over the extended holiday weekend.

Each team inked its respective five-star recruits with national letters of intent, both coaches announced Saturday.

Jason Zafiros of Bradenton, Fla., joins the men’s team next fall as the No. 36 prospect nationally, according to Tennisrecruiting.net.

Zafiros boasts a 31-13 record, including 5-2 against fellow five-star prospects. The 5-foot-10 high school senior picked Arizona over Alabama and Virginia.

“”For us now, we’re starting to be able to compete with some of the top schools in getting these big recruits,”” said men’s head coach Tad Berkowitz, who recruited a five-star recruit, Jay Goldman, last year. “”We expect him to come in next year and make an immediate impact for us.””

Berkowitz cited a complete package of different interests, like the Pacific 10 Conference, the C.A.T.S. academic program, weather, the coaching staff and teammates that drew Zafiros to Tucson.

Sarah Landsman of Syosset, N.Y., joins UA women’s head coach Vicky Maes next fall as the No. 26 high school senior.

Landsman is 14-10 against other five-star prospects, with an overall record of 48-26, according to
    Tennisrecruiting.net.