Wildcat weekend sports review

Claire C. Laurence / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Freshman Shevell Quinley tries to clear the pole during the high jump event of the womens heptathlon yesterday morning at Drachman Stadium. Arizona track and field athletes will compete again tomorrow in the final day of the Click Combined Events.

Shevell Quinley - womens heptathlon; high jump
Jake Arnold - mens decathlon; long jump
Chris Smith - mens decathlon; shot put
    Claire C. Laurence / Arizona Daily Wildcat Freshman Shevell Quinley tries to clear the pole during the high jump event of the women’s heptathlon yesterday morning at Drachman Stadium. Arizona track and field athletes will compete again tomorrow in the final day of the Click Combined Events. Shevell Quinley – women’s heptathlon; high jump Jake Arnold – men’s decathlon; long jump Chris Smith – men’s decathlon; shot put

Cheseret expected to shine at this Weekend’s Meet

The No. 9 men’s and unranked women’s Arizona track and field teams will get a big boost from senior All-American distance runner Robert Cheseret this weekend as the Wildcats host the Arizona International at Roy P. Drachman Stadium, with events beginning at 11:30 a.m.

The meet is also a lot different than last week’s Jim Click Shootout, Arizona track and field head coach Fred Harvey said.

“”It’s a much smaller venue,”” he said. “”It’s a meet where our athletes can concentrate on a particular event.””

The scoring meet will feature athletes from ASU as well as stars from around the world, Harvey said.

“”The Chinese and a number of Africans are training here,”” he said.

Even with tough competition, Harvey said he expects the Wildcats to do well, especially with the help of Cheseret.

The 6-foot Kenya native will usher in the start of his outdoor season by competing in the 3,000-meters as well as the 1,500m, Harvey said.

– Cassie Blombaum

Women’s golf will face daunting opposition in Tempe

The curtain closes on the No. 18 Arizona women’s golf team’s regular season this weekend at the Ping/ASU Invitational in Tempe.

The 6,230-yard par-72 Karsten Golf Course will be teeming with top competitors, including five top-10 teams and 11 in the top 25 out of the 16 total schools invited.

“”I think this is a very important tournament for us because it’s the last tournament of the regular season,”” said Arizona women’s golf head coach Greg Allen.ÿ””This gives us a chance to compete against all of the Pac(ific)10 (Conference) teams. I am very excited about the progress that our young team is making.””

Although No. 3 ASU won the event last year, with the Wildcats taking fourth, Arizona hopes to place ahead of the Sun Devils this time around.

“”We really want to beat ASU on their own course,”” said senior Cassandra Kirkland.

“”We know we can play well. I don’t think we’re intimidated.””

– Kevin Credit