“Walshe places first, team finishes fourth in Utah”

Alison Walshe
    Alison Walshe

Alison Walshe was the only player to finish under-par in the BYU Dixie Invitational. The rest of her team didn’t hold up its end of the bargain.

Despite a stellar performance from Walshe, the nation’s No. 12 golfer who shot a 5-under 67 in yesterday’s final round, the No. 11 Wildcats finished fourth after shooting 47 over par overall.

“”I am really pleased I finally got a round to come together,”” Walshe said after winning her third tournament of the year. “”I was hitting my iron shots really well, which were getting me in position to make birdies, and then I just became really confident.””

The Wildcats shot their best round of the tournament yesterday – a 13-over 301 – but it wasn’t enough to stay in contention, as tournament host No. 13 BYU won after carding an even-par 288.

“”(Walshe) is the reason we shot our best round,”” said UA head coach Greg Allen. “”We just struggled as a team during this tournament.””

Sophomore Adriana Zwanck tied for 18th place with an 11-over 227.

Allen said Zwanck “”hit the ball as well as anyone out there”” in the tournament, but that her putting struggles led to her worst score in the final round, a 5-over 77.

Mary Jacobs, who shot a team-low 1-over 73 in the first round, was unable to recover from her 10-over 82 in the second round, as she finished tied for 30th place.

“”We have two weeks now to rest up and get caught up with school before (the Pacific 10 Conference season),”” Allen said. “”I still do believe that something really special could happen to this team in either the Pac-10 or regionals or nationals.””