CatTunes: Songs for driving down the highway

Here are three songs to play while driving during Thanksgiving weekend.

Cheryl Wheeler, “_Driving Home_”

The song is perfect for trekking across the desert in a pickup on the way to spend a weekend eating massive amounts of food with people you might or might not like. “There won’t be too many days like today, driving home,” Wheeler sings. Inspired by her own trip along Route 15 from Ithaca, N.Y., to her hometown in Maryland, the soothing song appears on the album of the same name, and is worth popping onto a playlist. Although the whole CD could be prime for a road trip, the title track in particular works for driving up Interstate 10.

Willie Nelson, “_On The Road Again_”

Inspired by his life on the road for work, this track slowly became one of Nelson’s most recognizable songs. The next single after “Midnight Rider,” the song now stands as a staple in the movie business — it’s the insert song here for any long road trip montage in a movie. Plus, the songs is a perfect anthem for heading to home or playing on the way back. If it’s been a long weekend and you can’t wait to get back, the lyrics still work: “I can’t wait to get on the road again.”

AC/DC, “_Highway to Hell_”

If you aren’t the biggest fan of the people you might have to spend this weekend with, try this track from Australian rock band AC/DC’s sixth album. Originally inspired by an interview members of AC/DC had with Guitar World magazine, where they said being on tour was like being on “a fucking highway to hell.” So work out a little of that family frustration in the car on the way home with this track.