Calendar

Today

• Recent Acquisitions: Making Collecting Choices for UAMA- Ever wonder how museum curators choose works of art for collections and exhibits? Now you can find out because UA Museum of Art Executive Director Charles Guerin, Chief Curator Lisa Fischman and Assistant Curator Susannah Maurer will be discussing how they make these decisions. 4 p.m. Free. UA Museum of Art, Kress Gallery

Tomorrow

• “”I Dream in Widescreen”” Rough Cut Screenings – Graduating Media Arts students present rough cuts of their senior thesis films. Six short films will be screened, followed by a question and answer session with the audience. These are works in progress, so feedback is very important because a final screening of the films will be shown at The Loft Cinema on May 11. 9 a.m. to noon. Free. Marshall building, Room 222

• The Mission Creeps – Three men, two women and a transgender person make up the surf/gothic/garage band The Mission Creeps. They play songs about zombies, creepiness and coffins. What more could you ask for? With The Rebel Set and Last Call Brawlers. 9:30 p.m. $5. Plush, 340 E. Sixth St. (21+)
  • Trik Turner – Trik Turner came to last year’s KFMA Fall Ball and they’re back with a slew of other bands we haven’t heard of. With Cold Fusion, Supe, Jetlag and Kiss To Betray. 6:30 p.m. $10 in advance. The Rock, 136 N. Park Ave.
  • Saturday

• UApresents: Ballet Hispanico – Hispanic-American dance company Ballet Hispanico melds together ballet, modern and Latin dance techniques for an overall compelling experiencia de bailando. Take notes because these dance moves can make you the life of the party when you bust them out in front of the ladies. 8 p.m. $10 to $37. Centennial Hall
  • Arizona Symphony Orchestra – The School of Music has brought the Arizona Symphony Orchestra to campus, and everyone can see the show for free. Both classical and contemporary scores will be performed under the conductor, Thomas Cockrell. Bring your family or friends and pretend that you enjoy high cultural events such as this all the time. 7:30 p.m. Music building, Crowder Hall
  • Black Man Clay Band – Funky blues and reggae rock make the perfect soundtrack for visiting an enchanted garden. Bring your significant other – it’s romantic and cute. 5 p.m. Free with canned food donation for the Tucson Community Food Bank. Valley of the Moon, 2544 E. Allen Road
  • Deerhoof – Panda, panda! Deerhoof has opened for Radiohead, and the mix of strange outlandish experimental rock will make you reconsider trashing your Casio keyboard. With Experimental Dental School and Macromantics. 7:30 p.m. $10 advance, $12 day of show. Club Congress, 311 E. Congress St.
  • Kittie – They’re hot, they scream and you liked them even before Revolver magazine told you to watch out because they’d be taking over the hardcore scene in no time. With Walls of Jericho, Dead to Fall, 36 Crazy Fists, In This Moment and A Breath Before Surfacing. 6 p.m. $16 in advance, $18 at the door. The Rock, 136 N. Park Ave.
  • Sunday

• UApresents Lila Downs – Lila Downs was the first Latina to perform at the Academy Awards and she’s coming to Tucson to share her jazz, gospel and hip-hop influences through her extraordinary voice. Downs often sings about the city of Oaxaca, Mexico, so expect to become educated about the violence and femicide that is occurring in Mexico as we speak. 6 p.m. $10 to $47. Centennial Hall

Monday

• Turning the Tables on a Leading Journalist: A Live Chat with Gwen Ifill – Gwen Ifill is the senior correspondent for “”The News Hour with Jim Lehrer”” and she will be having a one-on-one interview with Dean Paul R. Portney and everyone gets to watch! Ifill is famous for her moderating skills; she was even asked to moderate the 2004 presidential debates. One day you can tell your children about the time you met a totally cool journalist. 5 p.m. Free. Crowder Hall

Tuesday

• Free Life-Drawing Class – You can’t take an art class unless you’re a declared art major, but now you can practice life-drawing (i.e. from a live nude model) for free. This class has been going on for more than 20 years but the art department has recently made it open to everyone. Bring a sketchpad, charcoal and a general creative disposition. 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Art building, Room 140

Wednesday

• LUNAFEST – The second annual LUNAFEST is a national film festival showcasing diverse films for and about women. This is a kick-off event for March, Women’s History Month. Films range from documentaries to dance narratives and themes range from women’s health to the environment. Proceeds benefit the Breast Cancer Fund and the Women’s Studies Advisory Council. So if you like the vag, show your support. 6:30 p.m. $5 for students, $10 general admission. Gallagher Theater
  • Mata Ortiz Pottery Show – Mata Ortiz is a village of approximately 3,000 people, and one of its main forms of cultural expression is pottery. The pottery is shaped by hand and painted with brushes that are sometimes made of a single hair. There will be a slideshow about the people of Mata Ortiz and a pottery sale; proceeds benefit the College of Education. Free. Noon to 1 p.m. Education building, Room 104
  • – compiled by Alexandria Kassman