Blog

Henry makes Combine cut

Chris Henry is Combine material after all.

The official list of players invited to the Feb. 21-27 NFL Scouting Combine has been released, and lo and behold, Henry’s name made the cut.

It’s something of an upset, given Henry’s lack of production at Arizona. The running back rushed for fewer than 900 yards in less than three seasons and leaves as the Wildcats install an offense seemingly ideal for Henry’s multifaceted skill set.

NFL Draft analysts have flagged both factors as reasons to believe Henry won’t get picked up at all in late April.

But Henry’s physical gifts, a bulging musculature and reported 4.4-second 40-yard-dash speed, are always prized commodities at the Combine. In his case, they just may hook a team into taking him as early as the first three rounds.

“”The speculation is that Chris Henry can do that,”” said Rob Rang, a senior analyst with nfldraftscout.com. “”He’s certainly built like a (professional) football player. He just doesn’t necessarily move with the quickness and the instincts of a running back.””

Rang said Henry’s in-person interviews with league personnel will be a major determinant in how he grades in Indianapolis. Teams will be sure to question him about his decision to leave school now rather than try to raise his stock in his senior season.

Kicker Nick Folk, safety Michael Johnson and wide receiver Syndric Steptoe, all seniors last year, were also invited to the Combine. The full list of invitees can be found at http://www.nflcombine.net/files/invlist/last_name_sort.html.

– Tom Knauer

Song killers

In honor of the Grammys, let’s hand out the award for the song that is starting to get more and more annoying by the game. And the winner is … that techno song that sounds something along the lines of whoaaaaa, whoaaaa, whoaaa, whoaaa. It’s called “”Kernkraft 400″” by Zombie Nation (I looked that up).

It’s one thing to get the crowd pumped up before tip-off or to play the song once a game during Arizona’s biggest run, but at the Washington State game, it was played twice at random times. Half the students jumped up like they had just awoken from their post-class nap, while the other half rose to their feet looking around at everyone else, unsure of what the appropriate reaction was.

Once a game is enough. You’re killing the song.

Last two home games: no big deal for students

You would think that wins over Washington, Oregon State and Oregon would encourage the students to buy tickets to the last home stand of the year, especially considering the Wildcats are playing No. 22 USC and No. 5 UCLA. But while Arizona is plotting revenge, the students continue to show why their section should be significantly cut down next season. As of yesterday, only 1300 and 1600 tickets were sold for USC and UCLA, repsectively. It’s only the last two home games of the season and one of them is against last year’s national runner up. But no big deal to the students. I feel bad for the Zona Zoo guys, they shouldn’t have to work to market two games like these. For those of you who are here next year, have fun trying to cram into half of what you have now.

– Roman Veytsman