Mailbag: April 19

In response to March 27 guest column titled “Regent DeConcini should resign from CCA Board”:

That was one of the most irresponsible bits of journalism I have seen in quite some time.

As an Arizona native and life-long defender of human rights, I feel a personal responsibility and legal obligation to act if human rights violations are presented. I spent 18 years in the U.S. Senate having the good fortune to represent Arizona. During that time I championed numerous human rights initiatives including immigration measures to help individuals seeking legal status in the U.S. I also served as Co-Chair of the Helsinki Commission, an international organization dedicated to global human rights.

I have publically stated my opposition to SB 1070. I believe it is not only harmful to our Latino community, whose culture and heritage have molded our state, but also because it is mean-spirited and divisive.

Yes, I am a member of the Board of Directors of the Corrections Corporation of America, a corporation that builds and operates prisons for federal and state governments. The reason they exist is because the government does not have the money to house prisoners in a humane way in their own facilities. Private prisons must comply with all of the regulations and laws mandated by federal and state contracting entities, and follow the same requirements for public prisons.

The CCA took no role in the creation or passage of SB 1070 and does not involve itself in any manner with respect to sentencing or incarceration legislation.

To suggest that I, in any way, would compromise my commitment to human rights for financial purposes is flat out wrong and personally insulting. Your article states you rally against Pell Grants being taken away, tuition hikes and rising textbook prices. As a Regent, those issues are near and dear to my heart, and I have used my bully pulpit as a Regent to speak out against education cuts and tuition increases. I have spent the greater part of my life in public service.

I wanted to become a member of the Arizona Board of Regents to give back to the fine University system we have in our State that helped me become the successful person I am today. And, I wanted to make sure that all Arizonans, and in particular those who could least afford a college education, would have the right to one. The statement in your article, “a raging anti-migrant sentiment is spreading across the nation, including the Arizona Board of Regents,” is completely unfounded and reprehensible.

I hope the people of Tucson and our University community know me well enough to know I would never be affiliated with any corporation or organization that intentionally and willfully harmed the human rights or dignity of any person.

— Dennis DeConcini,
    former U.S. senator

In response to March 22 column titled “Kony 2012 downplays facts, caters to Western audience”:

I would like to disagree with the way you have presented the facts.

You say that they spent about $850,050 on making awareness products such as T-shirts, and bracelets, in a way that sounds like they wasted that money. However you seem to not understand the fact that when someone makes a $20 order for those bracelets and T-shirts they know they are paying for the bracelet and T-shirt. What I am saying is that the money used to make those products is not donations money like you make it sound to be, but instead money they have collected through their side business of T-shirts and bracelet sales.

In addition, you say they have shady financials when in fact they do not. They have been independently audited by Considine and Considine accounting firm.

In addition, you criticize the fact that the 30 minute video did not show the facts about the war. Well, the fact is that video is not made to show facts, but to make people aware of what is going on. Their website is where they show facts, were they show all the projects they have accomplished through donations that help not only people form northern Uganda, but people for south Sudan, Congo and Central African Republic.

It is only hurting their just cause, and I suggest you find out more about their achievements in Africa, and the good they have done through the donations, before putting them down for copy and pasting a few kids in a video.

Lastly, you say that they only pretend to help the people they say they do, which is a completely false statement. If you go on to the LRAcrisistracker.com you will be able to find some of the many accomplishments they have made to help save, and better, the lives of the local countries.

I am very disappointed that you are putting down the cause, and lying about it. I feel like you have not done enough research about it and are not qualified to write about it until you have done the appropriate research.

I do agree with you, however, that people need to learn more about it. I have recently spent four hours looking at all the different sides stories and facts about the whole campaign, and have changed my opinion about it.

I support Kony 2012.

— Nicholas Arnaud,
    pre-business junior