Arizona track adds two more qualifiers

The Arizona track and field team had two new regional qualifications and seven athletes who improved on previous qualifying marks during weekend competitions. The few athletes who traveled were split up between the Triton Invite in La Jolla, Calif. and the Sun Devil Invitational in Tempe.

In Tempe, jumper Luis Rivera-Morales continued his dominance in the long jump event but the senior was not pleased with his leap of 7.01 meters, despite winning the competition.

“”I’m happy I won, but I wasn’t too pleased with the mark,”” said Rivera-Morales. “”A good mark is always better than winning first place and having a bad mark.””

Also continuing to dominate was pole vaulter Gabriella Duclos, who won the pole vault competition once again with a mark of 4.1m at the Triton Invite.

The surprises of the weekend were junior throwers Kendra Walworth and Kelsey Jessup who both earned regional qualifications for the first time in their careers as Wildcats.

“”Kelsey had a really good indoor season, so it’s nice to see her qualify, because she’s a walk-on,”” said UA head coach Fred Harvey. “”It’s good to see local athletes from Tucson get a chance to compete in an NCAA meet.””

Walworth, a redshirt junior, set a personal record in the hammer throw with a mark of 56.26m and Jessup had a personal best in the shot put with a toss of 14.31m. The pair marked the seventh and eight regional qualifiers, respectively, for Arizona throwers.

In La Jolla, redshirt senior Nick Mossberg also had an outdoor personal best as he cleared 5.3m in the pole vault, a mark which will most likely move him into the top 10 nationally.

The Wildcats will head to Tempe again this coming weekend as they take part in one of the biggest meets of the season, the UA-ASU-NAU Dual Meet on Saturday.